Chain-ish Noise At High RPMs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks,

I've tried figuring this out with no luck so far so trying here...

New GX owner and I noticed that after the engine is fully warm, I get this rapid light chain noise when I accelerate and get the engine RPMs up particularly under load. It's hard to describe but I took a video where you can hear it pretty clearly behind the regular engine noise. I'm considering cross-posting to the Land Cruiser side of the forums since they've got the same engine at least in the previous model.

Video sounds more like a tapping but in person it's more metallic sounding. It really reminds me of pulling a bike chain or small anchor but I'm at a loss. Hopefully the upload to imgur didn't compress it too much.

Not a "valve" tapping sound?
We do have valve "chains" not belts, but haven't hear of a bad chain, unless the tensioner is loose, but but I would imagine that would mess with the timing also or worst yet put a valve into a piston?
I admit I don't know the tolerance clearance's of our engines for valve and pistions, but I know that on some high compression engines, that would explode them.

If it’s doing it while accelerating it could be valve chatter. Could also just be something rubbing somewhere due to geometry changes while accelerating.

It is a sort of valve tapping sound but it has a faint chain-like sound to it.

The vehicle is new (2023) and stock so no magnaflow exhaust and hopefully not a broken motor mount altho it doesn't quite sound like that anyway.

My guess is something valve train related....I just don't know what.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom