Centerforce clutch problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

desertdude

SILVER Star
Threads
78 FJ40 6 cyl.... Properly adjusted, new master/slave cylinders, properly bled, fluid full. The clutch works great when it is cold, after an hour or two. I am having shift problems. The clutch pedal feels the same, but I can't get it into 1st or second either have to grind into reverse to stop the gears in the tranny or shut the motor put it 1st then start the motor again. Anyone have a clue? The clutch has very little miles/hours on it.

Wierd problem. The clutch is not releasing when hot. Check the rubber line to see if it is expanding when you step on the clutch. Also pull the inspection cover and check distance between the trhow out bearing face and the pressure plate fingers. Should be about .050 inch. If it is more, it isn't adjusted properly.

I'll check into those suggestions.

why would it work perfectly when cold and not when hot?

I see said the blind man... makes sense now that you put it like that. I'll drag my sick head underneath and have a look. I'll post back my findings. Thanks for the help

Did you do anything else, work on the tranny? Shot in the dark, is your reverse light working properly?

4 years ago i had the whole drive train out on the floor when i rebuilt the motor. It then sat in my garage until this spring when i finally got around to getting it back on the road. The reverse light has never worked from the PO, I have not hooked up the wires either. The rubber hose theory gives me hope. I have a nasty sinus head cold right now, I guess I should buck up and get out there and have a look, its only 20 degress out so it's not that cold :)

thinking out loud here...

Could the issue be the tranny and not the clutch. Maybe the 1st and 2nd gear syncros are failing when they get hot. Have you verified the fluid level in the tranny.

Did you check the hose when it was hot and the clutch was dragging?

If the hose is good, then it has to be adjustment. Don't forget, there are two adjustments; one at the master and one at the slave. Make sure that the rod at the master isn't too long so that you run out of stroke early. All this is detailed in the FSM.

Yes the fluid level in the tranny is good. I checked the hose after it was hot and the clutch was dragging

i will get more picky on the adjustment. ...this is really a mystery.

Shorten the rod at the clutch pedal until it just barely contacts the piston and then give it another 1/4 turn longer. Then readjust the rod at the slave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom