Center differential lock indicator Random (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
CDL.png

Usually when it rains the CDL light comes on flashing. After driving and power cycling the Land Cruiser it goes away. Anyone know why this happens or what can be done to solve it? I already replaced the grounding wire last season.

I'll be taking it for the winter maintenance in November and would like to resolve the issue.

It happens intermittent and usually when it rains or high humidity making it difficult for the garage to troubleshoot

View attachment 3089941

Usually when it rains the CDL light comes on flashing. After driving and power cycling the Land Cruiser it goes away. Anyone know why this happens or what can be done to solve it? I already replaced the grounding wire last season.

I'll be taking it for the winter maintenance in November and would like to resolve the issue.

It happens intermittent and usually when it rains or high humidity making it difficult for the garage to troubleshoot
If you want to be real thorough, you could check the CDL/4Lo actuator breather hose is attached properly. It’s known to come loose and allow moisture in the housing.

If you want to be real thorough, you could check the CDL/4Lo actuator breather hose is attached properly. It’s known to come loose and allow moisture in the housing.
Do you think just replacing and relocating all the breather hoses would help resolve it? I believe ARB sells a breather relocator kit along with their snorkel kit

I have a 2009. Low battery voltage on the car battery itself? I replaced it a few years ago.
yes, the car battery itself. On my rig, I've noticed that the CDL light flashes if i leave my dash cams on for a few days... especially during cold mornings. My theory is that the battery voltage drops low enough to trigger the warning; however, driving around for 5-10 mins allows the alternator to charge it up enough to stop the light after a reboot.
Others theorize that the contacts inside the actuator are dirty, and the lower voltage does not provide enough ummph to arc over the corrosion.

Agreed with @lx200inAR that water ingress is the likely cause of your CDL issue.

The breather hose for the transfer case (not the diff breathers) has been known to wear/crack and come off. Being at the top, water and moisture ingress becomes a problem.

Corrosion on this particular switch is likely the source of your issue. If you catch this early enough and go in there to clean the corrosion, as well as address the breather hose, you can likely resolve the light issue, but also save the functionality of the center diff lock as over time, the wiper switches and motor all becomes compromised.

The reason why battery voltage can contribute is exactly as @radman says, that corrosion adds added resistance to the contacts and lower voltage may not be able to properly signal across contacts.

1660836097315.png

More detailed info here

I get a random 4Lo flashing light sometimes - I have new batteries and a solar panel on top but maybe I have the same resistance issues @TeCKis300 describes.

Could this be the cause of my issue too? Might be related to @bigboo issue just a different light?

I get a random 4Lo flashing light sometimes -

Do you have a code reader? I've had 4lo flash when gas cap isn't properly screwed back on after refill 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Agreed with @lx200inAR that water ingress is the likely cause of your CDL issue.

The breather hose for the transfer case (not the diff breathers) has been known to wear/crack and come off. Being at the top, water and moisture ingress becomes a problem.

Corrosion on this particular switch is likely the source of your issue. If you catch this early enough and go in there to clean the corrosion, as well as address the breather hose, you can likely resolve the light issue, but also save the functionality of the center diff lock as over time, the wiper switches and motor all becomes compromised.

The reason why battery voltage can contribute is exactly as @radman says, that corrosion adds added resistance to the contacts and lower voltage may not be able to properly signal across contacts.

View attachment 3090240

More detailed info here
Wow super helpful. The car had a lot of rust when I bought it. I've cleaned most of the rust off on the under carriage, but this could be a it. I'll get it cleaned and replace the breather hoses

Do you have a code reader? I've had 4lo flash when gas cap isn't properly screwed back on after refill 🤷‍♂️
I dont. I was looking at getting one of those obd2 bluetooth adapters. Do you use one?

The other common solution for this issue (probably also a manifestation of internal corrosion) is to regularly exercise the CDL. The first time I'd try and engage the CDL after a good longish drive at highway speeds (Say 1 hour or so). With everything warm it should work better. Then remind yourself to lock and unlock the CDL with some frequency afterwards. I suspect with some light corrosion or sticky old grease, you can exercise the CDL and work through the stickyness that causes the issue. If not, @TeCKis300 has the solution.

Mine does the random flashing in the winter if I don't use the CDL every once and a while. Same pattern, flashes when cold, then a restart after warming up clears it. If I regularly use CDL it only happens on the coldest of days after sitting a few days.

A good habit to get into is to cycle 4Lo and CDL with every fill-up. Though some people may say that cycling every 75 miles is too frequent. ;)

Recently picked up a low miles 2015 (50,700mi on an 01/15 build) and the CDL light was blinking every morning the first 3 days. I’d shut off after driving at least 3 mi, then restart and light would be off.

Decided to try engaging CDL and putting into 4L at restart after light was verified to be off. Drove in 4L forward 200’, then in reverse for 200’. Reengaged 4H, unlocked CDL, and off I went. Light hasn’t come back on since, but I’m going to do the same after fill up or every couple weeks for a couple months to get those contacts clean and to shake the dust and grease off. I know the Toyota manual says 10 mi in 4L every month, but that’s an awful lot for those who don't go off-road.

my guess is the original owner never ran 4L at all, so it’s just a little dirty/dusty and needs use.

will report back if light comes back on.

Mine comes on with some regularity at altitude and with a change in temp (usually cooler). Like everyone else, once the truck warms up the light goes away on restart. I engage both CDL and Hi/Lo somewhat regularly and all seems to work fine. I basically expect it to happen whenever I get altitude and stay overnight camping, though it has happened once or twice from my garage after a temp change. I have not attempted to fix the issue as TeCKis300 has so well documented.

I posted this in another thread about this but I thought I would put it here too.

So, my Center Diff light has been blinking almost every morning this week. It has been very cold over night. But one morning I accidently hit the start button without my foot on the brake so it was in kind of an accessory mode (I guess) and I put my foot on the brake and the car started with no blinking center diff light. The next day I started as normal and the center diff light was blinking. Today I pushed the button with foot off the brake and then pushed it a second time with my foot on the brake and it started with no center diff light. I can't be sure if the center diff would have come on if I started it regularly but it may be worth trying. My center diff light always goes off after I warm up the truck and restart it but if I can avoid that at the first start up it is worth it. Unless there is something bad about starting that way.

Forgot to update this thread. Only worked two times, third time light came on, so back to the drawing board.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom