CEL revisited... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
'99 UZJ100 w/ 80000+ miles

I posted awhile back about O2 sensors going bad and CEL kept coming back with the same code (0155). This time I brought the 100 to a refutable independent service and had the whole thing checked. It turned out the front sensors were bad too! So, I got them replaced. Cost $138/ea plus $150 labor. So, the shop owner told me that using gas additives (to purge carbon deposits, etc) and cheap gas (Costco) just kills the O2 sensors. And driving with the CEL on can ruin the catalytic converter. So, all you folks out there putting a black tape over the light, and/or ignoring the CEL, it's pay now or pay (much more) later. There, my 2 cents. Thank you

Good point. I am finally at the point that I will be changing out mine soon. I looked at simulators but they don't effectively solve the problem so OE O2's it is. Cdan will get that order real soon. :)

On my '00 w/ 118k miles, both front oxygen sensors showed codes when the CEL came on. I cheaped out, and installed the Bosch "universal" sensors, where you have to splice the Toyota connector to the new sensor. They come the twist lock connectors and went together pretty easy.

And some several months back, I had used some Lucas injector cleaner. I wonder if that had something to do with the sensors failing?

knock on wood but on any of my cruisers I have not had a O2 sensor go bad, this incudes the 3fe's which get the cheapest gas I can find and I have run Toyota fuel injector cleaner thru many times.

not saying its not true.....but I am doubtfull

(also I should now prolly order up some spare as I just jinked myself ;)

Maybe that damp Washington air keeps the O2 sensors nice and clean. ;)

hoser said:
Maybe that damp Washington air keeps the O2 sensors nice and clean. ;)

This is making me think water injection will solve some of our problems.?

Melchor said:
'99 UZJ100 w/ 80000+ miles

I posted awhile back about O2 sensors going bad and CEL kept coming back with the same code (0155). This time I brought the 100 to a refutable independent service and had the whole thing checked. It turned out the front sensors were bad too! So, I got them replaced. Cost $138/ea plus $150 labor. So, the shop owner told me that using gas additives (to purge carbon deposits, etc) and cheap gas (Costco) just kills the O2 sensors. And driving with the CEL on can ruin the catalytic converter. So, all you folks out there putting a black tape over the light, and/or ignoring the CEL, it's pay now or pay (much more) later. There, my 2 cents. Thank you

I doubt that you can get any s***ier gas than what we get in New Mexico! I would believe that some fuel injector cleaners could cause problems, but not gas alone. My turbo car only gets about 40k on an o2 sensor so IMO, 80k is not bad. I have 113k on mine and no o2 that I can thin of.
Dean

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom