CEL P0116 question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My CEL came on last night the code that came up was P0116 - coolant temp sensor.

I replaced the T-stat about 3-4 months ago, flushed the radiator this summer with Toyota red and checked the PHH (which looks good). The heat works really well and the temp guage has never gone past the halfway mark (which I understand may be misleading).

I brought my LC to a local Toyota shop where they reset the code to get rid of the CEL. My question is that if this code pops up again my only option would be to replace the ECM. Has anyone changed the ECM or knows what this might cost?

I have not replaced it, but shoot off a pm to cruiserdan...

I'm sure Dan would be happy to sell you an ECM but hold off until you do some more diagnostics. For one, the guage sender is different from the temp sensor that feeds the ECM. You may have a bad temp sensor or wiring to the sensor.

You should get yourself an OBDII scanner so you don't have to take it to the Toyota dealer to scan and reset. In a pinch, most Autozones will pull the code for you and you can pull a battery cable to reset it (or the EFI fuse though some report this didn't work for them.)

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom