CEL and codes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I searched a bit and didn’t find a whole lot of information on these codes.
P0420
P0335
P0340
The 420 Search brought up some good info regarding the cat, exhaust leaks, and o2 sensors.

Quick history of the truck:
Purchased last year in SoCal, 150k and good lexus service history. Only thing I didn’t see was history on timing belt service. Nothing online and no sticker to be found in engine bay. Bought it for my girlfriend who doesn’t drive much, it’s been a year and she’s put 2,000 on it. Not a single issue with it in the last year other than a slight oil leak at valve cover gaskets when I bought it. Changed those out right away and did new plugs at the same time.
Fast forward to about a week ago, gearing up for a 3,000+ mile road trip to a bunch of ski resorts. Decided time to do some maintenance. New radiator, hoses, thermostat, aisin timing belt kit, serpentine belt, trans flush, new fluid in both diffs and transfer case... had my Indy mechanic do most of this for me. He said when he went to change the timing belt somebody had been in there before since it was missing a couple screws on the cover. He did a new timing belt anyways with new tensioners. At least I know I’m good now, or so I thought. Got it back from him and after a couple days of driving the P0420 came up. I cleared the code and wanted to try running a bottle of cataclean through the tank to see if that would help. In the last few days of driving (trying to get the tank down to 1/4 to add the bottle) the 420 came up again. Reset again. Today I got a call from my girl that the truck won’t start. Figured dead battery, not a huge deal. Got home from work and there’s the other 2 codes. When you turn the key to start nothing happens. Usually our trucks “auto start” without holding the key in the start position. Now after I hold the key in start for about 5-7 seconds the thing starts right up. Is it possible all of this is related to an electronic issue? Battery issue? In my search for the 340 and 335 codes in this forum one reason was a battery and the other was due to the serpentine belt rubbing a wire.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I’m a bit worried about taking this thing up to the mountains on this road trip with all of these recent issues. Worst case I’ve got a trouble free first gen taco I can take instead but the ride won’t be nearly as enjoyable as it would be in the lexus with heated seats!

Check the valley under the intake for wire damage. Rodents love nesting there. If the sensor for the crankshaft position sensor wire is hosed, presto. Starter is also under there and could have a bad connection due to damage. *random first thought*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom