Cel and Code 420 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long story, short: three weeks (and 800 miles) ago, replaced distributor cap w/ oem part. Six days later, in bfe, truck loses power, shutters, hicups, rattles and shakes. Drive it at 30mph for about 5 miles, back to civilization, and tow it to mechanic. After the 5 miles, smelled burning, hot. Looked under truck, the front cat converter (only) was glowing red, but not the second one, and not the pipes. Turns out cap was defective. 3days ago, get CEL. Read code 420 inefficient cat converter. Shop quotes $450 parts+labor to replace converters.
Seems that ignition misfiring let unburned gas out the exhaust, and that made the cat glow red. Question: can it be the O2 sensors are damaged ? Acording to this https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=64538&highlight=code+420, yes. What type of scan tool should I ask for, to check the O2 sensors? I asked the guys who pulled the code, and they said no, it's the cats. Anything I need to know, before I go to the other mechanic?

Putting excess unburned fuel into cat converter results in cat converter failure. The glowing red tells the story. After investing in new cats I would also invest in new O2 sensors.

Thanks for the answer, but I don't like it: too much investment! :crybaby:
CDan's dogs will be eating steak -again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom