Ccss05 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As posted on the RMLCA list this evening:

Forget the shopping.
Head out to play in the snow instead.

On Saturday December 17th or Sunday December 18th of this year, CCSS05 will be taking place. I'm pretty flexible in regards to the dates of this exhilarating event as I recently quit my job and am now lurking about your neck of the woods. (oops, that sounds a little too creepy even for me). So, depending on the response, we'll be heading out to Waiparous that weekend on either the Saturday or Sunday - basically, whatever is preferred.

Anyway, for those not in the know, the CCSS events consist of a day of goofing off in the snow with your Cruiser or Toyota 4x4 while most everyone else is scurrying around the shopping malls searching for that most precious commercialized entity that will fit perfectly beneath their recently killed tree. The wheeling is pretty lame and tame despite two trucks flopping on CCSS02. However, with this being said, there always is the possibility that we may encounter some more difficult terrain - depending of course on where we decide to go.

So..................

When is CCSS05? Dunno. Either the 17th or 18th
Where are we going to meet? Dunno. Maybe Crowfoot Dennys... or the GHole for those living on the east side of the city.
Where are we going? Dunno. Somewhere out in Waiparous. Maybe the south ghost area.
Who is welcome? Everyone.

Email me direct if you're interested in attending. ratpuke@gmail.com

my version of the CCSS / River Shiver pre-run

At Charla's call we booked the time to attend the CCSS (Cause Charla Said So) run.

In –20C weather we gathered at the local Denny’s for a healthy breakfast of French toast eggs, bacon and sausages. In the winter you never can tell if you are going to get home at 4pm or 4am or even 4am the next day. There was a good crowd out for the run, a stock BJ70 (“Lucky”, Ryan and friend), Berni, I and Cruiser and Riley in the stock LJ78, Bruce Charla and Cody in the heavily modified BJ42, Kevin and his nephew in his heavily modified VJ40, Kevin in his lightly modified FJ45 and Bryan in his fully tricked “mini” buggy.
As we headed out of town the day was misty/foggy with a nice covering of hoar frost, which broke as we entered into Cochrane. By the time we reached our unloading spot the day was still cold but crystal clear. I had a run I wanted to pre run for the local chapter of the TLCA’ s only Canadian sanctioned run, the River Shiver and when I asked Charla if we could do this trail she gave it the thumbs up.
IMG_1291.JPG
IMG_1293.JPG
IMG_1295.JPG

you can see the weather changing as we are driving.
we weren't the only excited ones int he truck...
"are we there yet? hunn are we?"
IMG_1296.JPG
IMG_1297.JPG
IMG_1298.JPG

we are heading down into the valley, the sun is out strong and the sky is a fantastic blue. i feel sorry for the blokes sitting in the dismal city today...
IMG_1299.JPG
IMG_1300.JPG
IMG_1301.JPG

We call this run the Renegade Run. The hills are steep. The ruts are deep. The off camber sections are plenty. This was to be a good test for the light duty LJ78 Prado. Right from the outset had a steep section of trail to climb and then an immediate off camber section to negotiate.
the boys out enjoying the day
IMG_1311.JPG
IMG_1312.JPG
IMG_1314.JPG

We had a fallen tree to remove before we could go further. One of the nicest parts of being on a run with the Rocky Mountain Land Cruiser Association (RMLCA) is the bond that is there. If there is work to do everyone pitches in to make the job light work. The run was no different.
IMG_1316.JPG
IMG_1317.JPG
IMG_1319.JPG

No complaining, if something needed doing everyone piled out of their respective rigs and lent a hand. Many times we had treed to remove, trucks to spot on the hills, tugg’m straps to hook and unhook and of course pics to take.
IMG_1324.JPG
IMG_1320.JPG
IMG_1323.JPG

The trail was tight in sections so it seems we all acquired more pin striping from Mother Nature as we went along.
As you can see Bryan is getting more used to the buggy since the off camber sections are magnified with a body that has a mind of it’s own. Our first break down was on the mini when the plastic ARB line broke free off the front diff. a pair of vice grips and a zip tie and we were on our way again.
With Bruce and Charla leading we meandered along the trail, twisting and turning amongst the trees with a rock face for the first 1/3rd of the trail. The scenery was beautiful, so peaceful and rejuvenating from the stress laden city life that was left behind for 12 hours.
the rock face throught he open sunroof
IMG_1325.JPG
IMG_1327.JPG
IMG_1328.JPG

As Berni and I approached the clearing we saw 2 wild horses laying in the snow enjoying the day as well. They remained there for a couple minutes before deciding to move on. What a thrilling sight to behold. We stopped for lunch in the clearing where a fire was lit and the smokies and wieners came out. Stories were related and the dogs played.

our hosts for the day:
Bruce and Charla
IMG_1345.JPG
IMG_1346.JPG
IMG_1348.JPG

An hour and a half later we were back on the trail and this is where the hill climbing started. I started up the first hill this side of the clearing and realized it was much steeper than I had anticipated. With my foot into it I figured I would at least try to get to the top in high range since I was lazy and didn’t want to back down this twisty steep section of trail. Unbelievable as it seems the little girl did just fine, no real locker engaged and over the top we went. I was very impressed to say the least. One thing I have found with the LJ78, the throttle can be touchy in low range so I drive as much as I can in high. It sure was an eye opener for me on this trail.
As each truck reached the top the passengers would bail out to watch the next truck climb the hill. Kevin in the VJ40 just putted up the hill like he was on flat ground. He has his truck dialed in just right. Congrates Kevin, it has been a few years coming.
Watching Agent Orange in action is a real treat. Even with open diffs that rig just crawls over almost any obstacle. Bruce and Charla did a great job assembling that rig from a $2500 basket case to a priceless “let’s go to Alaska, Moab, Pismo beach California and back” rig.
That bone stock BJ70 did excellent all day.
IMG_1350.JPG
IMG_1351.JPG
IMG_1353.JPG

On the next steep long hill, I decided to play it smart, low range, lock the rear diff and putz up the hill. As I was heading up ward you could feel the tires break loose here and there but forward momentum was being achieved so I kept on moving up till about 2/3rds the way up all 4 just started to break loose so I stopped backed up a bit and tried a different track, no go it is icy all the way across. I backed up again and gave it a bit of momentum (which isn’t easy when facing up hill on a snowy hill side) and the front end made it over but the back just sat there uselessly spinning on the icy section. One more try and then it was back to the bottom and around the way the other trucks went.
At the top I got out and watched as VJ40 Kevin just putz his way to the top, it sure is nice to be locked front and rear. Then Bryan in the buggy came up and at the same spot I spun out he was starting to spin but he made it over and up he came. Then 45 Kevin gave it a valiant effort in his locked 45 but as soon as he hit the same spot as I stopped he also did the funky chicken all over the hill. Finally with half the truck hanging over the edge he backed back down and came up the bypass.
IMG_1354.JPG
IMG_1355.JPG
IMG_1356.JPG

After a couple more km of twisty trail we came to a down hill with a huge truck eating crevasse on the one side with an off camber section to drive down to the bottom. The safest way to go down this is to just drive the truck down, not using the brakes. Let the gravity help you out instead of pull you into the crevasse. No close calls, no oops, we all made it just fine.
IMG_1358.JPG
IMG_1359.JPG
IMG_1362.JPG

heading down to "4 corners" we tried stradling the ruts, as you can see Bryan slipped in...
IMG_1363.JPG
IMG_1364.JPG
IMG_1365.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom