CBR Power Steering Pump options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone run a stock application GM CBR power steering pump? Something other than just buying one from PSC? I would like a CBR pump, but don’t want to end up spending $500 to $800 to put one on my 5.3 Vortec/LS motor.

I don’t have any CBR pumps at my disposal to put in hand to look at. I searched on line for stock applications that might work. They all seem to have 16mm threaded output ports. That’s no problem since 16mm to -8AN or -6AN adapter fittings are available. Pictures of the 6.2 Corvette pump show a pressed in inlet for a remote reservoir. Camaro ones all come with a reservoir tank attached to the pump. The PSC ones look like the Camaro ones, but just without the tank and a -12 AN fitting for the inlet.

GM parts pics show it looking like a slip in O ring for the port under the Camaro reservoir. Has anyone modified or used a stock application CBR pump with a remote reservoir?

What is the stock pump that comes on a truck Vortec truck motor, a TC? Is there a difference between a TC and "Type 2" Saginaw or are they both the same thing with different names?
EDIT; The stock Vortec pump is a P-pump with a slightly different housing. TC is different.

I put a PSC outer housing on my stock Vortec pump that makes the return a -10 AN (blue cap). And I have it set up with a remote reservoir. Not sure if this is what you're looking for or not.

I'm looking to do a change soon because my pump is either damaged or insufficient (most likely damaged)

pump mod.jpeg

Last edited:
Can't help, not familiar with the CBR pump specifically. How do they compare to saginaw "canned ham" pumps?

Can't help, not familiar with the CBR pump specifically. How do they compare to saginaw "canned ham" pumps?

I think they offer more flow and about 300 more PSI. That’s if the regular Saginaw is the same as a TC which I am not clear on.

The Vortec comes with the "P" pump AKA canned ham pump. A majority of the LS engines have them too. Come to think of it, any Chevy I've ever looked at has that pump. There is also a "TC" pump that is more compact and fairly common. Supposedly it performs similar to the "P" pump but a few people say it might not be quite as hearty.

The CBR pump looks like the TC pump and mounts the same. and goes on the same bracketry from what I read. It's also supposed to produce an extra 300 PSI more than the other pumps as Matt mentioned. All the aftermarket says special bracket kits must be used for a CBR pump on an LS. A 2005 SSR and 06 Trailblazer SS 6.2 used either a TC or CBR pump. I ordered the bracket, hope it works. Looks like it should. The beauty of the CBR (and TC?) pump is the pump can be removed and installed without taking off the pulley. Great for trail change outs.
Can't believe there isn't more info out there. I would have thought there would be some info on Pirate4X4
CBR.png
4X4 .

Do you have a link or picture of the bracket you bought? Does that attach to the stock pump/alternator bracket? That pump looks like the pressure output would point right at the block.

Here is a pic
power steering bracket.png

If it does, A quick 90 can be done with one of these banjo fittings
power steering banjo.jpg

Oh, I assumed that would be an aftermarket bracket. That looks pretty similar to the existing bracket we have, I'm trying to figure out how you'd be able to remove the pump with the pulley attached? On a side note, there are a bunch of different pulleys available for these pumps, I think I have a part # written down somewhere for a smaller diameter pulley that has holes in it to facilitate removal.
Looking forwards to your driving impressions with a new pump compared to current. Where are you getting a CBR pump from? PSC?

Last edited:
@FL cruiser is 12567922 the part # for that bracket? Application for a 2005 Trailblazer and looks like it cross-references with all the Gen 4 stuff and not the 98-05 Gen 3, so I guess that answers the question of it being the same to what we already have or not.

Where are you getting a CBR pump from? PSC?

I don't know yet. I'm trying to avoid paying PSC $400. A brand new genuine GM CBR pump is$125. I'm hoping someone will respond and say "yeah I used a 2012 Camaro pump, holes already threaded" or "I used a Corvette pump and tapped the output hole" or something like that.
is 12567922 the part # for that bracket?
Yes, That's it

there is a big enough opening on the side of the bracket to slide it out. A stock Camaro pulley has holes in it to access mounting bolts.

I use this mount and it works well with a TC pump.
pfn-pscmb15ka_xl.jpg

Summit sells a pump for $179 with the pulley.

I can get a picture of my setup if it helps.

I don't know yet. I'm trying to avoid paying PSC $400. A brand new genuine GM CBR pump is$125. I'm hoping someone will respond and say "yeah I used a 2012 Camaro pump, holes already threaded" or "I used a Corvette pump and tapped the output hole" or something like that.

Yes, That's it

there is a big enough opening on the side of the bracket to slide it out. A stock Camaro pulley has holes in it to access mounting bolts.

PSC says their $400 CBR pump is 1800 psi and and their $200 TC pump is 1600 psi and 4.5 GPM. What I’ve read on Pirate is that those TC numbers are at something like 5000Rpm, and don’t flow as well as the CBR at low-rpm, and that the CBR’s are worth it.. so now we just need to find out what the difference is between a PSC CBR and a stock GM CBR. Which looking back to the original post is what you were originally asking :doh:

By the way, not sure where you ordered the GM bracket from but it’s $90 on Rock Auto for anyone else wondering.

is there a way to tell a difference externally between a CBR and a TC? My references say there’s one pump for around ~03-05 and another for ~06-11. Here’s pictures of each respectively. Pressure side is definitely threaded, can’t tell on the return side. Only one way to find out.

B8CC7A3E-6087-4879-A0EB-346CB417196B.png

1948905C-C492-4C5B-B729-5067C9764F77.jpeg

I didn't even think of RockAuto for an OEM GM part, Deal! I got it from GMPartsDirect for $114.
Yeah, the 03-05 looks allot like a TC pump. The 2010 - 2012 Camaro pump looks like the PSC pump because of the machined surface where the inlet is.
I just didn't want to spend the big bucks for what might be a stock pump with some minor modifications., Hopefully that's not the case with the PSC. I'll probably just buy it instead wasting a bunch of time.

Bumping this back up. 2011 6.2 Camaro pump #92229662
and 2005 Trailblazer SS alternator/pump bracket #12567922 on the way.
Not sure what the best pulley will be to have correct spacing with the Gen 3 truck accessories yet.

@FL cruiser

I look forward to seeing your results.

I didn't follow through on my CBR pump conversion yet. I made one last ditch effort to try a reman "P" pump one more time, and luck of the draw got one that performs better than previous ones. Steering is good. For how long i don't know.

A couple of hard core long time wheelers I've met on the trail did say the CBR has been the best they have found.

I look forward to seeing your results.

I didn't follow through on my CBR pump conversion yet. I made one last ditch effort to try a reman "P" pump one more time, and luck of the draw got one that performs better than previous ones. Steering is good. For how long i don't know.

A couple of hard core long time wheelers I've met on the trail did say the CBR has been the best they have found.

I am excited. So from what I've gathered 90% of reman low-cost P-pumps out there are garbage.

Nothing mentioned as far as shaft protrusion though. Maybe a truck pulley would work fine? Need a pulley with holes though for bolt access.

I have the part number for the matching pulley for the pump I ordered, it's about $20. I am going to order to compare to the truck pulley.
On a side note the holes in the pulley make removing convenient, but the normal P-pumps have the bolts going the same way without holes in that pulley, any reason (other then potential balance issues which I'm doubtful of) one couldn't drill holes in the pulley big enough for a socket or allen wrench to pass through the pulley for the regular P-pumps?

I'm sure a hole would work fine.
I recently bought a cheap Tempco hydraulic knockout punch set ($119) , it works great on holes.

hydknock.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom