cb firestik (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am wandering where a 3 ft firestick cb antenae would look good at. Any picks or suggestions would be helpful.

3 feet is too short to be very effective. 5 feet is better. My Wilson is mounted to my Slee tyre carrier.

I have a 5' Wilson on my Slee front bumper and I love it. It is just there pasenger
side front . No problems so far and is not annoying while driving. Just my 2cents worth.

i dont have a sweet slee rear bumper but i do have an arb front bumper.

I would use the fold down mount that many do on the arb. It allows you to put the antenna up when in use and down when not. It mounts on the top light tab. Search and there are pictures.

also look in the outfitting secion, there is an antennia thread over there.

I have a wilson 1000 4 footer on the back bumper. I mounted it through the top of the plastic side piece, right if behind the tail light. It sticks up above the cab about 3 or 4 inches. Gets out pretty good.

Just a curiosity question. Why is nobody mentioning a spring wire antennae like the K40 gutter mounted ? It strikes me as a more durable design especially when driving amongst trees, and can be easily mounted / dismounted with a flick of the wrist.

Kalawang

thanks for the suggestions i am going to see how it looks on top of the plastic in the rear and the arb light tab so it is 50 50 i will post results.

Kalawang said:
Just a curiosity question. Why is nobody mentioning a spring wire antennae like the K40 gutter mounted ? It strikes me as a more durable design especially when driving amongst trees, and can be easily mounted / dismounted with a flick of the wrist.

Kalawang

Springs greatly decrease antenna performance!

jaxcruiser said:
thanks for the suggestions i am going to see how it looks on top of the plastic in the rear and the arb light tab so it is 50 50 i will post results.

Here is a couple of pics on how I mounted mine. With it being mounted in plastic you have to ground the metal base, I used a big yellow connector and cut out the end of the loop and slid it in the screw mount and tigtened the assembly down.
cc 013.jpg
cc 014.jpg

I went with the Wilson 5000 mag mount. Having the wire coming out of the rear hatch is a pain. Already wish I'd gone the firestick or similar permanently wired to a mount on the tire carrier so I could just screw on the antenna when needed. I did put a connector at about 6 feet so I can connect and disconnect just inside the truck at the panel where the bottle jack on an 80 is.

Uncle Ben said:
Springs greatly decrease antenna performance!

Spring wire does not necessarily decrease performance. However gutter mounts are more often 1/4 waves as against fender mounts which are 1/2 waves and more capable of shouting to a greater distance. However, considering the greater ability of spring wire to accept punisment without damage, I'd think it the more practicle choice.

Kalawang

I have a Firestick on the right corner of the ARB with a spring loaded quick disconnect. Its mounted with the top of the antenna as the same overall height of the truck. Seems to work fine for my trail needs and also lets me know what I'm going to hit.

I just drilled a hole in the front of the arb, right behind the down pipe on the drivers side. ran the coax through the engine compartment and to the cb in cab. works well for me.
I Don't daily drive mine but on road trips it does not seem to bother me.
Dave

I mounted mine on the left side of the arb--behind the light guard. I can take a picture tonight if you want--I have a 3' firestick and it works fine. There is a female terminal that is permanet--super fast to take on and off.

thanks mine is going on the front arb on the passengers side. i have the arb attachment.

There's a difference between 'spring wire' and 'spring mount'. One is a steel whip antenna, and the other is a, well, spring mount.

-Spike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom