Catch Can Latte (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I let the the catch can sit overnight and it separated into 5 distinct layers. The top layer is not seen clearly, but it was water. I emptied the can and clear water (maybe a 5 drops) came out first. That was followed by the chocolate/caramel layers--both were oily, followed by what looks like nougat. I thought there was sediment in there, but there was none. The final layer is the dark coffee-like layer at the very bottom--that's what I'm used to in the past, but there wasn't very much of it. I'm going to collect more before sending it off for analysis.

The truck is running smoothly, there is no loss in power, and engine temps are 176-180F on the highway and hit 184F in traffic. I have not noticed any white exhaust, coolant levels are stable, and there's not milkiness noted on the oil filler cap. I do hope it's nothing more than atmospheric condensation. Fingers crossed!

Latte 1.jpeg

Latte 2.jpeg

Can be normally like this sometime, sometime normally just oil.
That’s what mine does and I’ve had it on their for over 14,000 miles.

I monitor my coolant very close. I have lost zero coolant since the baseline, over 14,000 miles.

Can be normally like this sometime, sometime normally just oil.
That’s what mine does and I’ve had it on their for over 14,000 miles.

I monitor my coolant very close. I have lost zero coolant since the baseline, over 14,000 miles.
+1 - Same, for almost the same mileage. And zero coolant loss over that time, yet still get "milkshake" from time to time in the can. Has to be condensation.

I have a larger catch can mounted on the passenger side of the engine bay.

In the summer, it is straight oil and takes a long time to even get close to filling up.
In the winter, it looks like the latte you posted and can fill up quickly.

I was worried at first but it has been a few years in a row with the same results. I attribute it to moisture in the air being able to cool and condensate in the line on its way to the catch can in the cold temperatures.

I have a larger catch can mounted on the passenger side of the engine bay.

In the summer, it is straight oil and takes a long time to even get close to filling up.
In the winter, it looks like the latte you posted and can fill up quickly.

I was worried at first but it has been a few years in a row with the same results. I attribute it to moisture in the air being able to cool and condensate in the line on its way to the catch can in the cold temperatures.
mind if I ask what catch can you are running? I am currently shopping!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom