Catalytic Conv. stolen. Stuck 2000 miles from home in “Limp Mode”! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just spoke with Budbuilt.
They should have a plate released within the month for just protecting the catalytic converter.
Sounds promising.

Though I don’t know why the transmission skid plate wouldn’t work to protect the cat.
(she explained but I didn’t get it)

Perhaps the transmission skid plate is just more expensive than necessary if one isn’t looking for off-road armor.
Will the plate be compatible with STOCK/OEM armor?

If the cost is $450, that’s pretty comparable to the transmission plate.
So why not get the full transmission plate? Is there a downside to that?

I think the Aluminum transmission plate is $590 and 24 lbs.

If the cost is $450, that’s pretty comparable to the transmission plate.
So why not get the full transmission plate? Is there a downside to that?

I think the Aluminum transmission plate is $590 and 24 lbs.
The transmission skid does not completely cover the first 2 cats, and you would need to get the transfer case skids to cover the second 2 cats, by then you might as well get the 4 piece skid plate systems. Also the transmission skid alone does not match up to the stock engine skid without trimming..

The transmission skid does not completely cover the first 2 cats, and you would need to get the transfer case skids to cover the second 2 cats, by then you might as well get the 4 piece skid plate systems. Also the transmission skid alone does not match up to the stock engine skid without trimming..
Ah! Perfect.
Thank you for explaining. The lady at Budbuilt also explained this, but I was too slow to understand. Now I get it.

Good news. Then end of the Stolen Cat saga. Toyota Dallas was able to find both catalytic converters and sensors and all the other parts in merely a weeks time, which beat their initial estimate by several weeks. I think they made a lot of calls and tracked the parts down from all four corners of the USA. I am very glad to have this behind me. Thanks to everyone who was part of this thread. Now to get some protection up there. I don't want this to ever happen again.

Good news. Then end of the Stolen Cat saga. Toyota Dallas was able to find both catalytic converters and sensors and all the other parts in merely a weeks time, which beat their initial estimate by several weeks. I think they made a lot of calls and tracked the parts down from all four corners of the USA. I am very glad to have this behind me. Thanks to everyone who was part of this thread. Now to get some protection up there. I don't want this to ever happen again.
So many of us have learned through experience not to trust dealers in general, including their service departments.. but they really do come through sometimes.

I'm glad you got this sorted out!

Have any plans for avoiding theft in the future? I installed the slee skid system, but after getting under there even though they definitely add obstruction, I believe it leaves enough room for someone that doesn't have an easier option to still get the cats out. I'll eventually be looking at some tweaks to make the pipe harder to cut and should be good then.

So many of us have learned through experience not to trust dealers in general, including their service departments.. but they really do come through sometimes.

I'm glad you got this sorted out!

Have any plans for avoiding theft in the future? I installed the slee skid system, but after getting under there even though they definitely add obstruction, I believe it leaves enough room for someone that doesn't have an easier option to still get the cats out. I'll eventually be looking at some tweaks to make the pipe harder to cut and should be good then.
I definitely will install some protection. I am wavering between the BudBuilt Transmission skid plate, and the new Cat Converter protectors that Bud Built should be releasing soon.

This is turning into a Serious problem. Was riding next to an older crown Vic yesterday, and it clearly had its cats removed. Lots of Prius getting hit as well. I hate a thief.

The 200 series is at a disadvantage here since all four cats are on the exhaust and easily accessible. If thiefs were smarter, they'd specifically target vehicles like the 200 series. Most cars have only the secondary cats on the exhaust and the primary ones on the headers.

The 200 series is at a disadvantage here since all four cats are on the exhaust and easily accessible. If thiefs were smarter, they'd specifically target vehicles like the 200 series. Most cars have only the secondary cats on the exhaust and the primary ones on the headers.
Toyota LC engineers are so short-sighted!

Good ending to the story thank you for keeping everyone in the loop.

Budbuilt cat protection is now live on their website!

Does anyone know if you have to drill new holes on the frame to mount the BB cat guard? May get it after seeing real world installs.

Is Bud planning to modify the transfer case skid to just cover the additional area to fully protect the cats? Seems like the transfer skid covers ~80% which otherwise seems like a waste of material to *also* get a set of cat protectors

Good ending to the story thank you for keeping everyone in the loop.

Budbuilt cat protection is now live on their website!
thank you! been waiting for this news! I got my order in while they still have them. So glad I don't have to spend a fortune on full skid plate protection that I don't expect to need. My FJ60 is reserved for that kind of work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom