Cat stolen on 99 LX, OEM part no longer available? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Closing the loop here, I'm back in the LX with a Magnaflow PN 49422 "OEM Grade" CAT. The fitment looks pretty good, I wish it had heat shielding like the factory one, we'll see if that ends up being an issue, but I doubt it. I just got the shipping notification for my ASFIR transmission skid. Meanwhile I'm parking with the AHC on low at the park & ride!

Scene of the crime:

cat_parking.jpg

cat_cut.jpg

Pretty strange to be following behind your own car on a tow truck, this after finding out the OEM part was NLA so heading to the other shop:

tow.jpg

cat_new01.jpg

cat_new02.jpg

This has reminded me how old our trucks are getting now. I might go on a bit of a spare parts buying spree to stock up on stuff I was "eventually" planning to get to, like trim pieces. etc.

do they have smog inspections in WA? How do they deal with aftermarket bits?

Closing the loop here, I'm back in the LX with a Magnaflow PN 49422 "OEM Grade" CAT. The fitment looks pretty good, I wish it had heat shielding like the factory one, we'll see if that ends up being an issue, but I doubt it. I just got the shipping notification for my ASFIR transmission skid. Meanwhile I'm parking with the AHC on low at the park & ride!

Scene of the crime:

cat_parking.jpg

cat_cut.jpg

Pretty strange to be following behind your own car on a tow truck, this after finding out the OEM part was NLA so heading to the other shop:

tow.jpg

cat_new01.jpg

cat_new02.jpg

This has reminded me how old our trucks are getting now. I might go on a bit of a spare parts buying spree to stock up on stuff I was "eventually" planning to get to, like trim pieces. etc.
Nice, low mileage AP2! I have an AP1, so I recognized that dash. Glad you got the LX back on the road 👍

Exactly why I parked mine inside the garage and kicked the BMW outside.

do they have smog inspections in WA? How do they deal with aftermarket bits?
Thankfully not anymore as of I think January 2020. When we did, it was only for the most populous counties and if you had an OBDII vehicle, the check was just plug in and if all the monitors passed and no CEL, off you went (after paying your $15 fee, of course). For pre OBDII, you used to drive on their dyno while they ran a sniffer, and as long as you passed the sniff test, you were good.

There was never a visual inspection of anything, hoods were usually not opened, and they didn't even have lifts so weren't looking under anyone's vehicle. The actual testing itself seemed downright practical, as long as what's coming out of the tailpipe was within threshold, it didn't really matter what was bolted to your car to get you there.

Good for you! The last bit about practicality might be good reading for the powers that be in other states...

there was a report a few days ago, a thief in NC or SC died when the car fell off the jack as he was hacking off the cat

there was a report a few days ago, a thief in NC or SC died when the car fell off the jack as he was hacking off the cat
Hah! I saw that today too. It's honestly not the first time its happened. Not too long ago, someone over here in WA or OR caught someone trying to cut their cat off, so they hopped in their car and ran the guy over killing him.

I'm in Tacoma (Fircrest) also. Do you mind me asking where this happened and what shop you used for the work? Mine are still intact probably because it's holding down my garage floor.

I'm in Tacoma (Fircrest) also. Do you mind me asking where this happened and what shop you used for the work? Mine are still intact probably because it's holding down my garage floor.

Sure, I live right on the border of Tacoma and Federal Way, but work in Seattle. I use Sound Transit Link to commute, and this happened at the Sound Transit Angle Lake Station garage. In talking with the King County Sheriff's Deputy when reporting the theft, he mentioned that park & ride lots, trailheads, and movie theaters are big CAT theft targets because it's likely people will be away from their cars for at least a few hours at a time.

I had the new CAT installed and welding done where they tried to cut the other one off at Interstate Tire & Automotive in Burien. Talk to Steve, they were a great independent - no nonsense, easy to deal with, did a quality job, and reasonable rates. I'd be happy to use them in the future for any work I'm not setup to do in my own driveway.

Hah! I saw that today too. It's honestly not the first time its happened. Not too long ago, someone over here in WA or OR caught someone trying to cut their cat off, so they hopped in their car and ran the guy over killing him.
Haha! My mother-in-law sent my wife that article after she heard about this happening to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom