Cat. options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GMSilk_Fj60

SILVER Star
Threads
i have a fj60 that refuses to pass emmisions but im close so im thinkin a cat will do the trick. i built a new exhaust out of 2" tubing. Header+tubing+flowmaster+tubing. I want to add a cat between the header and the flow. i need to find a used cat. I was thinking domestic junkyard find...
cheap and enough to bring numbers down. any idea on what i could use.

I just bought a MagnaFlow hi-flow cat through a local hotrod shop for $80. Its small compared to the OEM, but had 2 1/2" in out. I used 2 1/4" for the muffler and tailpipe. Flows and sounds good(quiet) w/ a cheap Turbo muffler.

I was in the same emmisions pickle. So close, but all the tuning in the world wouldn't pass it.

It passed w/ flying colors after the new cat!

good call man, cheap, and works. ill b at the rod shop 2mor. Good lookin out Kavik

FYI- my 85 has a O2 sensor, not the screw in type. It is smooth, no threads. I didn't use it, just zip tied it out of the way.

That cat is not available w/ the factory Toyota O2 sensor bung. If you are ambitious you could cut the bung out of your old cat and weld it into the new one. My truck is mildly de-smogged so the O2 sensor is not talking to anything anyways...

Good luck!

It is actually a thermal sensor not a O2 sensor. When it gets too hot in the CAT it closes the ABV which stops air flow down to the CAT so it will not overheat and get damaged.

I went through trying to pass smog for a while which is a pain.I would be surprised if a 60 could pass without a CAT and the air rail.

Nocal- sorry, thermal sensor. I had O2 sensor on the brain from having just read another post.

BTW - my air rail is bypassed, and there are no guts in my smog pump :)

Kavik said:
Nocal- sorry, thermal sensor. I had O2 sensor on the brain from having just read another post.

BTW - my air rail is bypassed, and there are no guts in my smog pump :)

Thats cool you passed emission your truck must be running good. You in California? It seems like California emissions require very low now.

There's a place called Kansas City Converters that advertizes new OEM style cats. I've never had to replace mine, so I haven't needed to try this place, but from their website, they appear to have the correct replacement. Not sure about cost, but I'm sure it will be reasonable compared to an OEM cat.

Here's the link: http://www.kccats.net/apindex.lasso

AZ - dyno test

Its running pretty good for 295K miles. Idle is a little lumpy, but it revs just fine.

Just took it out for a proper thrashing last weekend. I love keeping up w/ my brother's 2 passenger, geared, and lock'd Jeep, while I've got me and my 4 daughters in my wagon :)

no how u feel.my cruiser=275xxx miles 4" safari and 33s goes out and plays witha dodge on 35's jeep on 35sd and a ford on 34. all chime in on the old girl but i always leave just fine. (my cousin that owns the dodge after 110xxx miles the motor blew!... Featherweight)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom