Cargo Camper Trailer Build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Translation: regretting ticking the 'glory hole' option on the checklist.

Too funny - - I will avoid that on the build list!

I hope that Steve knows that any past, present or future 'glory hole' jokes made are out of pure jealousy. His trailer is super nice.

You should definitely check it out and we can compare $ for $ with what I've built (or what you could build) In a cargo trailer. The price for the teardrop is hard to beat. Unless you love doing the work or don't value your time. :). For me it was convenience, I had the enclosed trailer already. But to say I didn't/don't enjoy it would be lying. It's fun. And if I build another one it'll be even more epic.

Do like Steve and have some of the work done for you and finish it yourself, or start with a wooden box on wheels... hmmmmm.....

Ugh - I was wondering what went down there last week.

I need a vent on top - wonder if it would be safe, even with a fan? I better put one of @Rice squirrel fans on top to be safe.

Funny you should mention that .... I have a small 12V, low amps, squirrel fan that came out of an old video data projector .... could be a good application for it.

@NC LX Has one like this. Very light and looks nice.

Wife and I are trying to avoid pop-up and roof top tents, but we also want to be able to open our doors and have netting like a pop up. Still TBD . . netting needs to keep the No See Um gnats out. I could see me doing a roll-up on a dowel thingy that is installed right inside the doors and is held on the sides with magnets. . . unroll it and clip into place on top and bottom and then put magnets on the side. . . I don't know . .

I like what I have but I'm already thinking about upgrading. It sets up in a few minutes but all its good for is sleeping. I need more room inside and with the growing family...

Brit is showing interest to start going too so Im going to need to accommodate to keep momma happy.

Subscribed

At this very moment, which I state because I could change my mind like an hour from now, we are leaning toward the WeeRoll 6x12. Heather doesn't want to "half arse" the trailer, as the other option I gave her was to just buy a good used one and get going for <$2K.

WEE ROLL LIGHTWEIGHT CAMPERS AFFORDABLE CAMPERS

I would have them do the insulation through out to include and walls, ceiling and floor. I would ask them to weld in a Queen bed frame to spec for my storage and bed.

Would ask for a full axle on 6x5.5 with ebrake.

I would do the rest, unless I am forgetting something, which i probably am.

I am pitching this as a Tiny Home on wheels. Tundra and the trailer - who needs a house? :)

Going to call them this week and discuss pricing and timing.

Do some research with the states and feds to see what requirements are needed for tax purposes on a trailer being a 2nd home. I think it has to have a bathroom and cooking facilities. you could claim it as a deduction.

Do some research with the states and feds to see what requirements are needed for tax purposes on a trailer being a 2nd home. I think it has to have a bathroom and cooking facilities. you could claim it as a deduction.

Sheet for real? That was one of my major issues with living in an RV.

Time for this, then:

EarthCruiser FX - EarthCruiser

At this very moment, which I state because I could change my mind like an hour from now, we are leaning toward the WeeRoll 6x12. Heather doesn't want to "half arse" the trailer, as the other option I gave her was to just buy a good used one and get going for <$2K.

WEE ROLL LIGHTWEIGHT CAMPERS AFFORDABLE CAMPERS

I would have them do the insulation through out to include and walls, ceiling and floor. I would ask them to weld in a Queen bed frame to spec for my storage and bed.

Would ask for a full axle on 6x5.5 with ebrake.

I would do the rest, unless I am forgetting something, which i probably am.

I am pitching this as a Tiny Home on wheels. Tundra and the trailer - who needs a house? :)

Going to call them this week and discuss pricing and timing.

Are your bed thoughts to use some form of a Murphy bed?

IMG_0161.JPG

No - The plan is to have a set up like @jamesurq 's . Double doors on the back vs ramp. Side door leads to the bed or desk area.

Will have space below bed for transparent storage containers.

Will have storage along the sides above the bed on the side walls.

Will then have basically something like an entertainment center in the front with a couple chairs and double desk.

go to youtube and search for innovan, aussie camper/trailer manufacturer.. LOTS of neat ideas with their products. If i ever hit the lottery, their junk will be sitting in my driveway. Their bedding/storage arrangements are awesome. Their kitchen system is TOP NOTCH.

If youre doin a bunch of mods to a cargo trailer, id look into having the kitchen deploy out of the side on large slides. Have it so its just at the edge (under cover) of an awning. With enough planning, you could have the kitchen deploy like the innovans. Its like a cooking transformer!

go to youtube and search for innovan, aussie camper/trailer manufacturer.. LOTS of neat ideas with their products. If i ever hit the lottery, their junk will be sitting in my driveway. Their bedding/storage arrangements are awesome. Their kitchen system is TOP NOTCH.

If youre doin a bunch of mods to a cargo trailer, id look into having the kitchen deploy out of the side on large slides. Have it so its just at the edge (under cover) of an awning. With enough planning, you could have the kitchen deploy like the innovans. Its like a cooking transformer!

I definitely toyed with the idea of a slide out sink/stove. But ultimately anything that was going to take up the 'under the bed' storage area had to be nixed.

Id have it deploy at use height, and keep it deployed while the trailer is stationary. as long as the bed height is below that, as long as its out, it wont matter. you can build a "door" on the inside of the slide to close off the opening when its deployed.

That would be where modding the trailer to have a smaller opening door on the rear would be nice. You could have the kitchen drawar deploy from the passenger side of the rear of the trailer....and your shower system deploy from the drivers rear.

It's the fact that a slide takes up a large amount of cargo space, permanently removing the ability for me to bring larger items like a go-kart for instance.

I actually like @stevezero 's earlier advice about having cargo above the wheels. Instead of sliding out of the inside, just permanently mount your kitchen stuff on the cargo box above the wheels and open the door and let it down. Use it as a chow box, already ready to go with everything, under the awning.

Eddy Out Aluminum Dry Box at nrs.com

My fridge will stay with the truck. It is already set up with batteries, etc.

Very cool, Stan!!

This project is on HOLD pending a possible move to downtown Pittsboro . . . more to follow on a different thread if it pans out - if it does not . .well prolly best and this will be a "thing" again here.

Rigid Foam Insulation

2" of XPS should be R-10. Would do sides, top and bottom? Seal with expanding foam and the appropriate XPS tape.

Cover with 3/8" plywood.

Still thinking about this for holiday time frame, but moving is still in the mix.

2" is a lot. That reflectix stuff I just put on is less than a half inch and it's R rating is 4.4 in a "heat going up" scenario in a metal walled building (the closeset I could find to what I'm using it for). not only that it's a radiant barrier - blocks 94% of the heat entering the 'building'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom