Carburetor altitude question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey everyone, I have an 85 fj60 with a bit of a carburetor problem. Nothing major just running a little rich with, in my opinion, too high of an idle. The truck isn't hard to start at all and runs great minus the richness. I plan on going from Bay Area to Tahoe. Do you think I will have any issues. I know the owners Manual tells me how to set the idle speed with the air screw, but would that help with the way it runs? And if not would it be ok for a 6000 ft climb?

Thanks all!

Ps. Was planning on rebuilding the carb, but I was missing the insulated gasket which I had to special order.

If your HAC (High Altitude Compensator) is intact and working,
it will add 6-7º of advance once you surpass something like 3800-4000 ft.
in altitude but I can't speak to the dynamics of your current tune/idle/mixture.

I would address the carb problem and find out why it is running rich. Otherwise you run the risk of damaging the cat. I would verify your timing is correct and both dissy vacuum advance diaphragms are okay. You'll need a Mity Vac to do that; if you don't have one, time to buy one. If you want to have someone look at the carb before you leave, I can recommend a guy in Dublin who knows Land Cruisers, as he has smogged my 60 for 28 years. Unfortunately, you won't know if the HAC is working until you get to Tahoe. In any event, plan on spending time in the slow lane on 80.

What makes you think it's running rich?

I've done that drive a few times (moved from San Francisco to Tahoe). It'll be slow going, as usual. I never adjusted anything on my 1986 FJ60 and it ran fine.
Which route are you taking?
Feel free to PM me if I can help with any Thaoe-related questions.

I've done that drive a few times (moved from San Francisco to Tahoe). It'll be slow going, as usual. I never adjusted anything on my 1986 FJ60 and it ran fine.
Which route are you taking?
Feel free to PM me if I can help with any Thaoe-related questions.
Awesome thanks! The trip went well. Had to stay in 3rd gear on parts of the highway up but that's usual. The carb ran perfectly fine no problems starting or stalling. I ended up adjusting the air mixture and the idle speed it worked beautifully!

A little late to the party, but I found that the HAC on my 60 was not working properly when operated at altitudes above 5k feet. What I found was the filter in the hac was plugged up.

You can remove the top of the HAC to access the filter. I had some flat filter element material I made a new filter from, but cleaning would likely work OK also.

With the clean element, my HAC worked properly, and she ran better at higher elevations. Just another thing to check.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom