Carb to EFI Oon an '87 ??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

WSOPgold2012

MoxieMan
SILVER Star
Threads
My 87 did not like 85 rated fuel..... Will that be different now that it's converted to EFI?

Couple questions, since 85 should run okay in a stock carb setup, even at sea level, since the 2F has such low compression from the factory...

1. What kind of EFI conversion?
2. How did the old setup 'not like' 85 octane? Was it pinging?

Depending on your EFI setup, running 85 could be as simple as filling the tank and letting it adjust its own timing with the knock sensor etc., or it might mean retarding your timing manually at the distributor, or it might just run great right away because your problems from before weren't with the fuel, but with your carb/emissions gear/distributor/etc., and those parts aren't in the truck mucking things up any more.

Remember that octane is only a measure of ping/spark-knock resistance - nothing else. You don't provide your location, so I don't know if you are at sea level, where gas is typically 86 or 87 octane. At my elevation, it's 85, because that's all it needs to be. I wouldn't worry about this until you drive it some.

Further the quality of the gas might have more to do with the tanks at the station than anything else... sounds more like there was moisture in the gas.

Much appreciate the responses guys...thanks. The rig lives at 9700' drives mostly between 7500'-9700' + occasionally down in Denver at 5000'. I only used 85 once...and at lower altitude of 5000'-7500 was fine...but didn't seem to like It at 9700...however, it may have been many things contributing to the "bucking" not sure what else to call it....hopefully this Holley EFI conversion will make it so 85 is ok.

Thanks again...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom