Carb rebuild questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mtnphilosopher

semper ubi sub ubi
Threads
So, I've "finished" my carb rebuild -- thanks to all the posts with detailed pictures and Pinhead's outstanding video series. Still, a couple of questions remain:

1. The infamous idle mixture screw -- From what I've read/seen, folks seem to automatically remove it during a rebuild to inspect. I've also read, however, that it can open up a can-o-worms, and that if it's unmolested, leave it be. Mine still has the factory cap in place, and I don't have any particular reason to suspect it -- my idle issue could be caused by about 30 things and counting discovered since starting the teardown/refresh of my 2F. Here's a couple of pics for reference and viewing pleasure:

2014-07-19 16.56.56.jpg

2014-07-19 16.56.49.jpg

2. What's missing from the second picture? I just noticed the head of the staked screw was missing when I took this photo. I swear it was there when I rebuilt about a week ago, but, well, the picture doesn't lie. Valve still operates smoothly, but, well, that just ain't right. Do I need to replace (think I know the answer), and where does one find such a screw? Not seeing it on SOR or other parts diagrams.

This is part of a full overhaul (I'd do a build thread, but so far it ain't purty), so I won't be able to test in situ for a while. Any thoughts are most appreciated.

Thanks,

Brad

You don't have to remove the idle mixture screw as long as you can verify that the passage is clean and clear. On the other hand, emoving it makes it easier to check and adjusting your idle mixture is easy.

It will probably work forever with the one screw holding the throttle plate.

That's the best answer ever -- thanks for all your help and all you've given to the community.

Reviving an old thread, in hopes that it may serve useful to others in the future.

All has been well after my rebuild, with the exception of emissions issues and, more recently, an steadily increasing idle that has not responded to usual adjustments. The throttle felt sticky, so I thought the linkage was to blame. After going through the entire linkage and ultimately disconnecting it completely from the carb, idle still continued to increase -- finally topping-out at 3000 RPMs!

So, I pulled the carb yesterday, and here's what I found:

IMG_3331.JPG

I can't seem to find a part number for the throttle plate, nor for the screws.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, as always, for the sage advice,
Brad

Last edited:
I guess I was wrong about that lasting. You need a new throttle body. What year is it?
You could also try straightening the plate and getting new screws. Don't forget to stake the new ones.

its an '85, and who woulda thunk that the before and after would be so dramatic. Then again, it has been 2+ years.

Any ideas on where to procure a new throttle body?

I'll take that plate off and see if it's repairable/flatenable as well.

Since 99% of the carburetor parts are no longer new from Toyota, the best solution is to find a used carb in the parting out section or general classifieds. It doesn't necessarily have to be working since you're only buying it to strip down for parts. You should be able to find one (when one comes available) for maybe $200-$250.

IMG_3428.JPG
Hey all,

Sorry for the delay, but have been trying to procure a new plate locally, to no avail. Been to all the old school garages and diminishing carb repair places, but it seems most have dumped their old Aisan cores long ago.

I've straightened the problem plate as best as I can, but am concerned that it is now out of round and has a weak point where it failed:

Check with @mel lowe to see if he has a parts carb.

Also, not sure where to find the brass screws, even if I can make that plate work.
I've heard told there is a place to order them, but can't remember where.

The throttle body itself looks good, to my untrained eye, but if I need to be searching for an entire core carb/throttle body, so be it.

However, if I can find a plate/butterfly valve and screws that would work, I'd have the Dump Truck back after a far-too-long hiatus.

As an aside -- we had a huge snow year this winter, and I had to pull many, many people out of snow banks -- including a FedEx truck -- with the Dump Truck. I blame (for no good reason whatsoever) these people with lesser vehicles in snow country for the taxing the DT too much and leading to this issue.

Still, while I may feel morally superior for having the quintessential snow truck, it's cold comfort when I can drive it in the Spring.

Could you get someone to cut you a new brass plate and add holes for the screws?

I've wondered the same.
Might need to hit-up the machine shop that tig welded my intake manifold.
Seems like he's the only guy in Boise who's still doing this stuff.

I know it's not a major metropolitan area, but still -- one would think there are still some old school shops keeping these (and others') tractors running with parts.

My grandpa and great uncles would know where to go.....

I might have a box of junk cab parts in the garage. I'm home sick today. Will report back...

I got a tb block for you...

@Cgbeachbum whered you get that brass screw?
I wasn't able to find brass ones local, just the common zinc plated. I got them from a local True value. Because of the risk of dissimilar metals/corrosion, I used a product called Tefgel on the threads. It acts like a threadlock and thread sealant. I've used the stuff in the marine industry for years and love it. But, time will tell if it holds up to this application. Mine was done 2 months ago and doing fine... hope it stays that way!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom