Carb problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,
My brother and i have been building a '76 Fj-40 that is currently lifted, 35's,PS conversion, lots of bodywork, and caged. We have only recently started driving the cruiser, and the truck will hardly run on an incline, going up/down/ or at and angle. The rpms will bog way down and the exhaust will start to turn black like the truck is flooding. If the truck stops on an incline, it will not be able to be restarted. The truck has a chevy 250 with a rochester 2barrel carb on it. Any suggestions on how to modify the carb to run at angles better?? Thanks guys

When I had a 250 in mine the carb generally did OK. If memory serves me correctly it was a simple Rochester. If you got severely inclined or declined it would be harder to start, but that would be in the neighborhood of 45 degrees or so. I think the engine was from a 1969 Suburban. Have you priced another carb? it may not be worth the trouble to rebuild if your not a carb guy...

No i haven't priced other carbs. I do have a original toyota carb off a mid 70's 2f, can that be run on the 250? Ive rebuilt some side-draft carbs and a few holley's before, so tearing a carb apart doesn't scare me. I know that for holley's you can get the parts to modify them to run on pretty steep angles. I was kinda hoping there were some similar modifications for the rochester 2 barrel?? Thanks guys.

Howdy A Rochester deuce should run just fine at some pretty heavy angles. It's probably just a float problem. Other than gaskets and float, there's not much to a rebuild kit. If your not sure what application it came from, copy all the numbers off the carb, or just them your parts man it is on a 66 chevy 1/2 ton pickup. It's one of the most common carbs from that era. John

Thanks for the advice. You are probably very correct about the rebuild kit/float because the carb has some issues on the street as well. The carb looks like it hasn't been touched in 20 years so maybe i will just spring for a rebuild kit and see where that takes me. The question still stands though on wether or not a stock 2f carb would be worth trying to run on the 250 chevy...anyone??

Thanks for the advice. You are probably very correct about the rebuild kit/float because the carb has some issues on the street as well. The carb looks like it hasn't been touched in 20 years so maybe i will just spring for a rebuild kit and see where that takes me. The question still stands though on wether or not a stock 2f carb would be worth trying to run on the 250 chevy...anyone??
Howdy! Basically, the design should work just fine, as the chevy 250 is extremely similar to the F/2F engine. It might require a custom adapter to mate the base to the manifold. Maybe a bit of work to get the throttle linkage to fit and work properly. WORTH is hard to define, but I think it can certainly be done. John

Well sounds like i will just have to play with the 2f carb to see how it would mate up. Thanks for the advice guys!

MAF used to make an adapter to put the Rochester onto the LC engine sooooooooooo.....it might just be a matter of getting one of those adapters and flipping it upside down.:hmm:

Keep in mind you'd have to deal with another air cleaner setup as well as working out the linkage issues [Roch pulls front to back, Aisan pulls side to side]

Worth it? If you want to wheel, then heck ya. For the street, prolly not worth the effort on the Cheby motor IMO.

Best

Mark A.

Well i do just so happen to have one of those adapters laying around. it came off my 45 pickup when i took off the rochester the PO had put on it. i love the aisan and will probably see if that adapter will work. Thanks for the idea. And yes the 40 is mainly built for wheeling soooo hopefully this will work out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom