Carb & Intake Cleaning While Driving ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A thought . . .

Connect a long small diameter hose to one of 3 of the nipples on air filter housing just above carb....

Lead hose into rig....

While driving, spray (via little red plastic tube) carb cleaner into the hose.

Either short sprays ( few seconds on , few off, repeat) or just blast away....

Anyone tried this ?

Good idea ? Bad Idea ?

Why?

Sounds like it would work to me.?.? It would be funny to do when you had a passenger who didn't know what was going on.

> What do you plan to accomplish as an end result?

That's why I asked,,,,in that the 'theory' would be to clan an area that is probably not dirty...but who knows,,,,cause I'm never in the maifold or on the intake manifold side of the valves....

I was 'just sorta wondering' if the idea has any merit....

I am going to remove & clean (and 'rebuild') the carb...visible portions of throats are dark brown to black....secondary plate is cruddy ( I know, and am also replacing diaphragm)....

maybe clean some carbon buildup ?

Or just pour some seafoam into the gas tank or the carb while itis running ;)

My main question was more along the lines of "Why can't you do this parked??"

My guess is that is a choice of being a point source polluter or a non-point source polluter.

Or just pour some seafoam into the gas tank or the carb while itis running ;)

My main question was more along the lines of "Why can't you do this parked??"

i'm with you on this one.

have it running give it some rev and put the carb cleaner in

I let my 60 get below 1/4 tank of fuel and dump a can of Sea Foam in the tank and them go and drive it 15 miles or so to the gas station. It cleans all the nasty out of everything on the way.

Hate to hijack but...aren't you producing a smoke sceen as you're driving around?

Hate to hijack but...aren't you producing a smoke sceen as you're driving around?

Not at all. At that ratio it is cleaning everything and constantly, but lightly, decarboning the system with every rpm.

Dumping the stuff straight into the carb is when you will get the smoke screen. It also might be a little hard on the engine. Decarboning years of build up on everything all at one in less than two minutes. Ouch!

I don't want to get into any arguments on how to use Sea Foam. This is the way I use it and it works great for me in my application.

No with a little more explination.

In this ratio it is cleaning all the deposits or build up in the caburetor as well as the disipating any water in the system. After all it is a carburetor and injector cleaner.

I think that decarboning should be done slowly in this manor.

If you pour it down the carburetor you are bypassing the entire fuel system. Decarboning in this manor (I think) is hard on the engine. Carbon comes loose all at once and may flake off in chunks. The chunks may pound on a valve seat before they are expelled or get between the ring and cylinder wall causng slight gawling. They may also get lodged in the Cat Converter and plug it up. The rydium in the Cats are designed to burn off a certain amount but 50k miles of carbon all at one is a bit too much.

I guess I could think of different things to do while driving if I had 3 nipple and a long hose :)

Spraying carb cleaner wouldn't be one of them....

I let my 60 get below 1/4 tank of fuel and dump a can of Sea Foam in the tank and them go and drive it 15 miles or so to the gas station. It cleans all the nasty out of everything on the way.

So were does on get this magic stuff. My engine has 90K and its below a
1/4 of a tank but i am thinking maybe a 1/2 can now and a 1/2 can of
seafoam next tank would be less harsh on the carbon release, or just
go for it with a whole can.....

So were does on get this magic stuff. My engine has 90K and its below a
1/4 of a tank but i am thinking maybe a 1/2 can now and a 1/2 can of
seafoam next tank would be less harsh on the carbon release, or just
go for it with a whole can.....

Your finer Wal Marts, NAPA, Kragen, AutoZone, etc.

One can is good for about 6 gallons of fuel for what you want to do.

It should be around $10.00 or so.

Thanks D'Animal for the help. Looks like i am off to
my friendly Wal-Mart to get the stuff as we speak

Oh yea sorry to Hijack this thread...............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom