Carb fan rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just the hinge bracket needs to be unbolted where it connects to the body only on the driver's side. Don't unbolt it from the hood. Don't take off the hood.

Just the hinge bracket needs to be unbolted where it connects to the body only on the driver's side. Don't unbolt it from the hood. Don't take off the hood.
Okay thank you. I wondered that after I wrote that... I really only need a smidge of space to get the bolt out.

No need to remove the whole hood, but you will need to take off the support spring bracket. I was able to just move the bracket out of the way without taking apart any other part of the hood and the bolt came out, as I recall.

You just need to loosen the spring bracket bolts enough to completely unthread the cooling fan mounting bolt so it can be removed. It's a little tricky starting the bolt back in when reinstalling. I did this a couple of weeks ago and it only took a couple of minutes to get the bolt started.

So I am just doing this now and referring back to your pixs. Pretty interesting how this works. My internals have some hardcore wear tho I see yours has some as well and my brushes have vastly more material on them than yours. Thanks to your write up I took a bunch of pixs of the brushes and how they should align. Thanks for this or I would have never attempted it.

Yeah, prolly alright for that carb fan, non-critical application, at that price, but you'll notice down at the bottom, the small print about buying in bulk so there's no box, etc...

The part that I got was a USA-made (maybe Mex, I forget) Siemens.

Fleabay is a notorious dumping ground for junk PROC parts. Not saying that's the case with these, but when the price is too good to be true ...

Just sayin' Caveat Emptor.

OK OK @Spike Strip, got one better for you - this one's $25 and at least has a sticker that says Made in USA, and comes in a box: New Engine Cooling Fan Motor Four Seasons fits:1990-95 Toyota Mitsubishi & Acura | eBay. I know everyone has a list of needs for their 60, so if you only spend $25 on this, saves just enough room in the budget for YOSEMITE SAM MUD GUARDS Car Flaps Rubber Looney Tunes BACK OFF Funny Set NEW | eBay.

By the way, when you go through the trouble of taking your carb fan motor apart to clean the commutator bars and make sure you have plenty of brush left, make sure the jumper wires you're bench testing it with have continuity... Turns out my motor works really well after all.

Yeah, I think that's just like the one I bought. Great deal.

And gotta have the Yo-suh-mite Sam mud guards when driving L. A. Freeways.

@NeverGiveUpYota, yeah you definitely need to remove the whole assembly to get the motor out. The fan is bolted to the motor shaft and the only way to get at the nut to separate them is from the interior of the larger housing.
I noticed those two vent tubes, nothing is connected to them on mine, but I assume they were part of a system to vent the motor housing because of all the dust that builds up in there. It was on my list to figure out how it's supposed to be connected... It's a pretty long list at this point though at this point, and the parts that are leaking fluid are taking priority at the moment...
To get the fan removed from the housing are you holding the fan then a bump with an impact to get the nut to turn without the fan turning? I don't want to break the fan. that's the only way to get the motor out to clean and inspect right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom