Car wash ripped off trim (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So i've had my LC for 5 months now and taken it through the car wash multiple times but last Saturday, I went to a brand new place where it's a drive through and then you can use their vacuums when you're done. When I get out to start vacuuming, I find this (except the was still in the drive-thru as this point):
IMG_3080.JPG

As I walk in to talk to the manager, he comes around the corner holding my trim. Semi-long story short is that the owner of the car wash was only willing to have his guys reinstall it but that was it. I, like most of you on this forum, decided that I'd rather do it myself and make sure it was done correctly. Neither the body nor trim was bent in the process so it was still usable.

It was a really easy process. I removed the old tape and adhesive on both the trim and quarter panel, cleaned it off with rubbing alcohol, put the clips on the trim side first, applied new 3m automotive molding tape and 3 dabs of silicone to the trim and pushed it back on to the quarter panel.
IMG_3088.JPG

IMG_3089.JPG

I read on here where the same thing happened to someone else (same driver's side rear quarter panel). Further inspection showed that there was never any tape on the end that goes by the wheel well and the car wash giant brushes must have gotten under it enough to pull it up. As you can see, I decided to put an extra strip of tape in that location. I even went to the passenger side and slipped a piece in there as well. It is now much more secure.

While I was furious at the time that it happened, i decided that there was no use being mad and in the end I see why it happened. It ended up costing me $7 for a roll of tape and about 45 minutes of my time.

IMG_3090.JPG

I had a get go car wash rip part of my fender flair off my 80.I talked to manger and told me to get estimate and summit to corporate headquarters. Less then two weeks later I had check for 900$.

That's generous. Mine is a locally owned operation and I got no such consolation.

I had a similar experience but it tore off part of my rear spoiler. The manager was extremely difficult to deal with and at first refused to pay. After much deliberation and frustration about explaining to the guy that the spoiler was NOT an aftermarket accessory and threatening to take it to his boss, I had a $350 check 2mon later. Next time I'll pocket that check and take off the spoiler to install some LED pods:)
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1424040725.644123.jpg

My trim at the same spot came loose last weekend when I was hand washing it and the sponge snagged it. I discovered it is held on by velcro. I got mad and then realized it popped back on. It seems solid so it is still velcroed on, maybe one day I will get a more permanaent solution.

You're lucky that the trim piece still holds the clips... about a hundred bones otherwise.

Car wash took the same piece off of mine a month ago. I found it broke a couple of the clips as well. I'll re-install once they arrive.

exact piece came off of mine but the "mounts" on the piece of trim were cracked. 75 bucks later back in business.

I took mine to a wash and it took off my back wiper blade. Nothing to serious but I learned my lesson with a car this big in a machine wash. Now I only go to manual washes. Better to spend a few extra minutes and make sure that you don't damage anything... Kind of ironic because I'm more worried about damaging my car in a wash than I am offroading.

I had the same exac experience as OP on the same side at a local drive thru car wash. I chose to use the same route, but I also replaced the clips that hold the trim piece in place. Brought the bill back to the car wash and they paid me back for it.

went to a friend that does auto glass and used his glue gun and glue it back on. it will never come off

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom