Captain Sanuk's 4th Gen 4runner Build. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey there!

Welcome to my 4th gen 4runner build thread! As i'm getting more serious with my build, i decided it was time to make a thread to organize everything. Before i get started though, i'll take a quick second to introduce myself-

I have been a member of Mud since 2011, but always loved Toyotas (Land Cruisers especially). Here is where my addiction began - My dad found a sweet '69 FJ40 for me to work on when I was 14.

20181225_215456.jpg

It was pretty solid. I welded some panels in where the PO had cut the fenders to fit bigger tires. Other than that, due to me not having a licence, It sat until I decided to sell it. At that point my sister went off to college and left me her bone stock 89 60. I used the money from the 40 i sold to fix it up a bit.

IMG_4802.JPG

I drove this rig through high school. My freshman year I ended up getting a job at a local fab shop sweeping floors, and that is when I started dreaming about building this rig. As time went by my boss made me a deal where I would trade my labor for parts. Here is what I ended up with -

IMG_20181225_212952_802.jpg

IMG_20181230_184729_388.jpg

I created a beast. Some of you may be familiar with the build thread a few years back when i went by the name of Tymanfj40 on here -Ty's FJ62 SOA Build check it out.

Anyways, moving on with the story. The transmission went out, and being a broke high schooler with no back up rig, i decided to sell it. I still kick myself for getting rid of that beast, but it was time to move on. The new owner said he was swapping in a Cummins, but i was never able to track him down to see the progress. My next rig was an 02 Taco. I beat on that thing for a while, then my dad decided he wanted to get into importing some more cruisers, so i sold the Taco and started driving a 1989 BJ70 turbo.

IMG_20181225_212446_798.jpg

I drove that thing for a while, then decided to sell it to fund a 2 year volunteer trip for my church. Once i got back, I found a clean 1st gen 4runner with hopes of flipping it to fund a more practical family friendly build. I made some quick cash and found a smoking deal on a 4th gen Runner. Since then I have been catching up on maintenance and slowly started to build it as funds have allowed.

Here is how the rig sits -
20190425_104535.jpg

20190425_104557.jpg

20190425_104018.jpg

Here is what i have done so far.

Suspension:
-All stock with some 3'' spacer kit (was on the rig when i got it)

Rack and tire carrier:
-Home built with rattle can bed liner coating.

Interior:
- CB/ Pa system
- Rear storage gear shelf

Other:
- 2'' hub centric wheel spacers
- running board delete
- mud flap delete
- axle dump exhaust

So far I'm pretty happy with it. It definitely gets me where I need to go, has the passing power I need on the freeway, and is very reliable. I do have alot of plans for it in the future, including full suspension overhaul with coilovers and potentially longtravel arms. my goal is to be able to run 35s. I also will be doing front and rear bumpers along with rock sliders. That's all I have in mind for now, but we all know how these rigs evolve.

anyways, thanks for checking it out. Stay tuned for more!

Last edited:
Alright, a little update on the build -

I’m currently living in Georgia and have been a few months without my 4Runner. It sucks and I’m having withdrawals, but in a few weeks I’ll be back in California with the Runner.

When I get back I will be doing a full once over. My plan is to move to Utah soon so I want the rig to be up to spec before I make the trek.

Here is the to-do list. (Less for your enjoyment, more for book keeping)

- full deep clean interior and exterior. I will be pulling out all my gear, cleaning everything And will be coming up with more storage solutions for gear stowed 24/7.

- full fluid change.

- brake job.

- fix rattling sunroof. It have been driving me crazy ever since.

- new wheels and tires. Not sure on what I will end up going with yet. I’m looking at possibly getting some 285/70/17 Nitto Ridge grapplers. My dad has some on his TRD Pro and loves them.

- interior navigation and communications overhaul. Find solid mounting spots for GPS iPad, phone, and a better location for my CB.

Anyways, that’s all I can think of for now. I will be updating with detailed pictures and info as we go.

Last edited:
A little bit has happened since my last post. I found a smoking deal on a set of Bilstein 5100 shocks and 5th gen ORP springs. Slapped those in there and the ride is amazing compared to the stock with the spacer. I gained a little more height but not too much. I did a once over on the rig as well before making it out to Utah. My first day here I decided to get out and explore some local trails.

pictures for your enjoyment.
8030F976-559E-4AD8-AFE6-3E5B7C6A5C3A.jpg

DSC04256.JPG

DC26B769-9360-4EA1-9F62-1650FEC839E4.jpg

Last edited:
Here is how the rig sits -
View attachment 1975021

View attachment 1975019

View attachment 1975023

Here is what i have done so far.

Suspension:
-All stock with some 3'' spacer kit (was on the rig when i got it)

Rack and tire carrier:
-Home built with rattle can bed liner coating.

Interior:
- CB/ Pa system
- Rear storage gear shelf

Other:
- 2'' hub centric wheel spacers
- running board delete
- mud flap delete
- axle dump exhaust

So far I'm pretty happy with it. It definitely gets me where I need to go, has the passing power I need on the freeway, and is very reliable. I do have alot of plans for it in the future, including full suspension overhaul with coilovers and potentially longtravel arms. my goal is to be able to run 35s. I also will be doing front and rear bumpers along with rock sliders. That's all I have in mind for now, but we all know how these rigs evolve.

anyways, thanks for checking it out. Stay tuned for more!
Hi mate,
Nice rig! I'm planning to get one but I read a lot of forum regarding the
head gasket failures for the 4th Gen 4runner. Actually , a friend is selling to me his 2004 4runner SR5
V6 4.0 L with 190,000 miles already with one catalytic converted needs to be replaced. He's selling it to me for $2500 out the door, I'll do the smog, means I'llv be the one who will replace the Catalytic.
What do you think about it.

Hi mate,
Nice rig! I'm planning to get one but I read a lot of forum regarding the
head gasket failures for the 4th Gen 4runner. Actually , a friend is selling to me his 2004 4runner SR5
V6 4.0 L with 190,000 miles already with one catalytic converted needs to be replaced. He's selling it to me for $2500 out the door, I'll do the smog, means I'llv be the one who will replace the Catalytic.
What do you think about it.

I have heard about the head gasket issues, but honestly it's not too common. Mine has had no issues as well as other 4runners that my family has owned. If I remember correctly they redesigned the head gasket 05 for the V6. That's a killer deal. I'd pick it up and redo the exhaust and call it good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom