Can't find an alternator

bajaphile

Boojum Hugger
SILVER Star
I just have spent the entire day trying to find a replacement alternator for my '66. 5 auto parts stores, and nothing.

Can I just get a part # of a Delco, or GM or something that will work?

I been searching, but, I just finjd info on GM stuff. I am looking for a reman. I guess I'll rebuild this one, but, Id like to get a higher amp one since I'm at it I guess.

Thanks for any help

gm 12si works great, and readily available.
do a search, lots-o-info.

use your pulley, and adding a diode is the hard part...90amps is also a welcomed addition :)

Cruiserdrew

On the way there
Call Mark's Offroad. If anyone will have an old-school alternater like that, it will be him.

bajaphile

Boojum Hugger
SILVER Star
Well all the auto part stores (Autozone, Pepboys, Napa, Kragen, Autoworld... Yes I went to all of them!) said they had alternators for '68+... And then then all told me that it wouldn't work since I have three prongs, and this had a "plug" or something along those lines.

As for the 67, it looks like an exact match, but I can't see what the connection is. It might work, but, Kragen store manager told me there was absolutely no matches in their computer!!

So Marks offroad? I may try that.

GM 12SI will work? I'll have to do some modifications? Well, I'll search for it.

So what exactly is the difference between the 68+ models?

Downey

SILVER Star
We originally made a GM alternator conversion for the Cruisers, knowbody bought them, the rest is history. I may still have some of the billet aluminum pullys??? We offered 140 amp hour GM's with wiring diagrams, you only had to slightly modify your stock bracket---no brainer. If you want to try and make this work, PM me and I'll see if I can track down one of those high powered supper deluxe pulleys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom