Can you identify this limited slip? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here is a photo of my FJ40 limited slip differentials (F/R).  I'm going to replace both with ARB Lockers, but would still like to find out what Brand-Model they are and what parts may be available....

Cliff
Lodi, CA

It looks like a GM gov lock to me, but I have never seen one intact; only busted all to pieces.

I found one exactly like that in a '70 FJ40 parts rig that I bought ???

That definately looks like a GM Gov Lok. POS IMO

From memory (vague), the GM Gov Lock was a near drop-in for Cruiser diffs....IIRC, there was some minor machining of the ring gear seating diameter required to bolt it up, and perhaps some machining of the side gear bearings.

Common mod in the "early days" when there wasn't a plethora of Detroits, EZ-Locks, ARB's, etc available to purchase.

(heh heh - I used "plethora" in a sentence - heh heh)

Woody, you want a cookie?

The gov lock is a cool idea, but they don't last long with big tires. The work as a LSD until the side gear slip gets to a certain speed and then it locks up. This sudden lockup along with the inertia of big tires results in BANG-POP. Fortunately the cracked carrier in my Suburban tow rig held together long enough to get home where it grenaded just backing out of my driveway. The spider gear shaft was sticking through the cover and it looked like the rear end was smoking a cigar. :eek:

If you don't have tires bigger than 33s and you go easy on the skinny pedal I say run them until they break. Might be good to carry a spare 3rd member on the trail.

Okay,

you guys are definitely on to something....

I dismantled the 3rd member (after checking R&P mesh patterns, which were excellent).... here's what I found:

The Lmited Slip carrier had the bolts holes enlarged and shifted slightly inward, to allow the carrier holes to line up with the ring gear holes.

There were also shim plates about 1/4" thick between the carrier and the ring gear (I'm assuming to allow the R&P to mesh such that the bearing preload nuts would be adjusted to approximatly the same depth)....

Sure looks to me like this Limited Slip carrier belongs to something other than a toyota...

I did not press the bearings off the carrier as it is going to be a big paper weight....

The outter races are Koyo 17831-N... Is this the stock Toyota bearing?

What bearings would you suggest to buy...???

Cliff
Lodi, CA

if you are reinstalling, just replace what's there. It was a common swap in the 70's, and if it's been working for this long, don't mess with what the PO did.

Not sure if that's the stock bearing or not...any bearing house can supply ya tho.

Both Limited Slips are broken.... and the ARB's will be here tomorrow....

Just thought you guys might have a personal preference on bearing manufacturer....

Timkin bearing is one of the best know, and well respected bearing manufacturers in the world for good reason. I'm not sure if they make the correct bearing, but I doubt they don't.

My recommendation for bearings is to ask ARB what they recommend for use with their unit. Should help with any warranty issues that may come up.

Okay this wraps up this Magical Mystery Tour (BTW, I vaugely remember the real Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.... anything to be 16 again...!!!)

ARB says Timken or Koyo...

So Timken it is, $28 a piece....

The End

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom