Can we talk winter vehicle kit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I am combing through our winter kit for the family wagon (Sequoia) and was wondering if you'd add/remove anything before sending my most precious people onto the Montana roadways this winter? I am always curious as to what others are doing for practical preparations.

Here is what we have so far...

Warmth

o Blankets

o Hand Warmers

o Hats/Gloves

o Car Candle

Food/Water

o Water packets (marine use)

o Granola Bars

o Jerky

o Candy Bars

Tools

o Tool kit (small socket set and basics)

o Flashlight

o Gloves

o Shovel

Car Equipment

o Ice Scraper

o Deicer Spray

o Kitty Liter

o Washer Fluid

o Fire Extinguisher

o Tow strap

o Flare Electronic/Real?

Discuss... :bounce:

I want to travel with you, pretty thorough. Granola, candy bars and jerky would be long gone before it was needed. Back in the day I always carried a small bag of dog food in the plane. Never wanted to snack on it and would keep you going if truly needed. Always have a water purifier in my pack. I don’t like deicer, always carry a cigarette lighter

Good List!! I am with @elkun1 the snacks wouldn't last to emergency time, lol.

The only thing is see missing is a lighter or fire starter. I always have a lighter and a book of matches in a ziplock. If it was truly desperate there's always enough maps or other paper to get something started as long as there's a flame.

And it's probably harder with multiple different people but winter boots can make all the difference if there's an hour or two of digging and pushing in deep snow....

And jumper cables!!!

I carry spare batteries for my flashlight. (My flashlights seem to need batteries like everytime I use them. What's with that? :meh:)
First aid kit wasn't listed, but I'm guessing there's one already in your rig.

I used to rely on the sand bags in my truck for weight and to cut open to use the sand for traction. But I don't carry it in my LX. The times I've needed a bit of sand/dirt/gravel for traction, I've been able to dig/scrape it up with my shovel. The shovel is by far the best single tool to carry IMO.

Special for long trips, I make everyone pack all their snow gear, in case you have to go walking a few miles to get help. That way at least everyone will be warm and comfortable. It's nice to know that if you do get stuck somewhere, that all the kiddos will be happy playing in the snow (or maybe even help digging) while you sort out the situation.

Safe travels.

Something to consider would be a kinetic strap versus tow strap. Considering if you get stuck its likely slick and a tow strap can be pretty brutal compared to the stretchy kind. LED head light or lantern that can run for days with a small battery, external USB charger pack, tire chains

I'd swap the flashlight for a headlamp or just have one of each. Flashlights are hard to use when your hands are busy, but headlamps generally don't have a ton of throw. A kinetic strap is a good idea. I keep a good shovel along with a mil-surp entrenching tool in my truck. The entrenching tool can be used as a pick for really packed in snow/ice that other shovels have trouble cutting through, but it would take forever to dig out a vehicle with such a small shovel. I also keep a set of clothes for myself and my wife. That way we could change if our clothing got wet. Bic lighters are pretty great, but they don't work when it's really cold. (Keeping the lighter in a pocket inside your jacket helps.) Survival matches work all the time, but cost a lot. Fero rods also work all the time, but you have to practice with them or you'll never be able to use it when you need it to work. A ziplock baggy of cotton balls soaked in vaseline makes really good fire starters and doesn't take up much space.

Wow, funny I spaced the entire fire kit. I have one in each pack in the house, but haven't put one together for the vehicle kit yet.

Thanks guys this thread is helping. I think at this point I am adding...

• Fire kit
  • Sand bags out back
  • Headlamps
  • Kinetic Strap (picked one up on a black friday deal).
Gotta' get it laid out and organized this weekend. Thanks again!

Bug spray will help with a fire you can also take potato chips for your snack and use them for a fire starter if you need one. Starts up every time.

I'm surprised no one has talked about jumper cables yet.. I keep a set of cables as well as a portable jumper pack from costco if I'm in situations where I'm alone with no service, which is quite often these days. Also think about some extra vehicle fluids, chains, and a full sized shovel. Yes a small packable shovel will work, but from what I've experienced growing up in the Rockies is that life will be easier and quicker getting out of situations with a full sized shovel. I'm also sure you've realized this, but Bozeman isn't the best at clearing the roads of ice in the winter so extra winter traction is always nice.

The jumper packs are great, can also recharge your phone or whatever with them. We've had 2 of them that the battery swelled after being in the cars over the winter. I don't think that's a good thing and wonder if anyone else has had issues. These were both bought on amazon a few years ago. Also, no one has mentioned a 2 meter radio. If you really need help the radio is much better than walking out. I've never needed to use mine for that purpose but I've got it if needed. Now everyone get your license this winter, much better than a cb.

Yeah, I already have, the basics in the car. We keep a portable Yeasu FT-60R in the car at all time. Jumpers, spare tire stuff, first aid etc

All really important and useful things to have with you. A few items we carry not mentioned...
  • Maxtrax. These orange buggers aren't just a status symbol, they actually work! (Ask anyone that went Christmas tree hunting).
  • 10 gallons of fuel. You can idle your rig for a long while and set your spare tire on fire (great smoke signal) with 5-10 gallons of fuel.
  • 25' Stanley FatMax tape measure! This is by far the most important tool you can carry! Once you start carrying/wearing one you will wonder how you went so long with out.
I am more than happy to put on a class on the use of the above items, especially the FatMax.:rofl:

This is a great thread topic.. especially for those of us who like to wonder outside of city limits during the colder months.

A few additional ideas:

2 shovels (so your friend can help :) I have a cheap home depot one and a fancy BCA avalanche shovel

An oversize jack base plate with some traction. I haven't actually used this for winter yet but i imagine it would come in very handy if you had to jack up your car on ice or slippery snow. I have an aluminum plate with blots sticking out of it.

A food/snack idea is peanut butter. Keeps forever, tons of fat and protein and not tempting enough on it's own to make you eat it while sitting in traffic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom