Can one man uninstall a TJM T13? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kcjaz

SILVER Star
Threads
Yes he can! Though the same guy can’t post pictures that are not upside down... sorry about that.
I’m going to take the truck in to a dealer to get the cruise calibrated. It would not calibrate after I installed the bumper last year. I believe this was because the whole front end was replaced, including radar cruise sensor, after my accident with a deer. The shop installed the bumper and then tried to calibrate the cruise. They said the cruise wouldn’t work with this bumper however, I know they are wrong. Hopefully I’ll get it fixed tomorrow. I’m tired of not having cruise control on the highway.

Fun fact: I last used this engine hoist to pull the engine out of my FJ60 17 years ago.

37854B79-27FC-4587-ADBE-CCA71AC772BC.jpeg

Last edited:
Here ya go...
941FD0BF-C26A-4EA1-8FBF-844D9138C107.jpeg
BF52ABF5-F560-48B8-A979-0EE6A8FE9B55.jpeg
966E9F09-4415-42B9-82E1-97FF187475F4.jpeg

-Markuson ;)

Thanks for the fix to the pics

They are definitely wrong on the cruise control, mine works perfectly, same bumper.

Update:
Took the Cruiser to the dealer and they got initially concerned about liability with aftermarket stuff that could affect safety systems. They weren't trying to be difficult and we got quickly past that. To their credit, they wanted to see the bumper and there was some thought that the corner proximity sensors may be needed for the radar cruise. Its not needed, but they initially were not certain. So I went home thinking I would just put the bumper in the back and return but that would have required leaving the tailgate and top hatch open which I didn't really want to do. I decided to just throw the bumper back on the front and only installed 4 of the bolts.

When I got back to the dealer, the tech said "I don't see why this won't calibrate with the bumper on, I'll try that first." So he did that and it did work, no issues, which means that I have lived w/o cruise control for 13 months for no reason. I've always known (thanks to this forum) that the cruise control should work with this bumper. I did though believe that it was plausible a new cruise control, that would need calibration to be set up, might have issues with the bumper. The calibration procedure involves setting up targets in front of the vehicle and measured angles and distances. Most people just put on the new bumper with a previously functioning and calibrated cruise control.

I did ask to talk to the service manager and he actually recalled doing the work on my truck. He told me who to go back to at the collision replace that did the body work and they would figure something out. I did that and they remembered the story too. Nobody has told me that they will cover the cost of the calibration ($280) yet but I think they will.

Even if they don't reimburse me, I'm not too hacked off. Stuff happens. I didn't realize how simple it really is to take the bumper part off. If I had, I would have done it a long time ago. The hardest part was pulling the wiring and head light washer tubing so that the bumper could be completely detached. I'm going to figure out a better way when I put it back so it will be easier if I ever add a winch.

I am doing it alone, and without an engine hoist. Just old fashioned humping it up into place.

Well, I did use a hydraulic jack once I humped it up to get that extra little bit of height.

I have been thinking about the TJM bumper lately. How hard is it to take on and off and put stock bumper back on? What is the max speed you are able to reach? How many mpg did you lose?

I have been thinking about the TJM bumper lately. How hard is it to take on and off and put stock bumper back on? What is the max speed you are able to reach? How many mpg did you lose?
I lost approximately 1.5-2mpg when I put on my T13. I can still get 16.5 on back road two lane highway's doing 65mph if I drive it verse having cruise control on. 2008 LX570, roughly 75k miles, wife, 3 kids 10 and under, and myself.

Last edited:
Thanks, I have a 2009 LC, 250k miles. I am getting 12.5mpg with my KO2s, nudge bar and SLEE sliders. Also have my vehicle's rake removed with Icon coil over suspension.

I’d say I lost about 1 mpg at 65 to 70 mph. A little more at 80 mph. Each weekend when I drive home from the lake, I fill up right before I get on 2 lane highway (average 60 mpg until I get to the 4 lane) and the game play at is seeing how high I can get the trip mpg. Before the bumper and Slee sliders, I could always get over 20 mpg and once I was able to hit 21. Now it’s 19 and I try to get over 20 and rarely do. Note that I run premium, non ethanol gas on these lake shots. That’s why the numbers are this high.
Regarding putting the OEM back on, I don’t thing that would be much different than install. I remember having to trim some plastic parts for the TJM but that shouldn’t stop reinstallation of the OEM. Wiring for the lights would be another thing to think through. I’m pretty sure I cut off the OEM connectors to the fog lights and tied in the TJM harness. If you think you might go back to OEM, you would want to think that through to make going back easier. There isn’t anything major here though.

Will the vehicle go 120 mph? Or does the bar kill that possibility? (I am not driving 120 mph anymore but I like to go 100 mph on empty backroads/corn fields from time to time.

Couldn't tell you. If I've ever been over 90, its because I wasn't paying attention. Where I'm at (KC) the hwy patrol will usually let traffic go at 80 on roads with 70 speed limit but at 81, your getting pulled over if they see you. Especially with KS plates like I have. At 85 I don't get any sense that I'm near the limit. I'd be surprised if it couldn't cruise at 100. You'd probably be getting <10 mpg though.

I'd be curious to know how many 200 owners have actually tested their top end speed. :steer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom