can i get some opinions on this 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've seen this 40 go through ebay several times but never will sell. It seems like the price never gets to high considering all it has. he doesnt state much about the condition of the engine except he drives it 3 days a week. for the lift, tires, cage, power steering, seats it seems like a good deal. pics of the body dont really reveal much but i just wanted some input on it...is it worth buying...? thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2434442602&category=6443

Howdy, what's the highest you've seen it go?, bc shez still got bout 6 days and I'm sure she'll go up $2k. Sorta suspicious that he does have much shots of the rust prone spots and the fresh paint. Just all depends the condition of frame, body and mechanics and especially the reserve. I like the rollcage tho:)

Yo Han

Drives it to work 3das. a week? How far is work? Not a daily driver but a 3 day a week driver??? What is highest bid turned down? e-mail him and ask what reserve is? If it is as advertised $4,500 would seem to be a good deal for buyer. You should see what I'm considering paying $1000 for. '69 fj40 in pasture field been setting for 15 yrs.

i paid 1700 for a running rust bucket :doh: ....but I'm in the NE too :whoops:

NO, I see it worth maybe 2K with the info given. No mention of motor, fenders and quaters cut, no running boards. Some cool mods in theory but you have no idea the quality of the mods. Stuff like this scares me. You could be buying a blown motor or no brake 40 that happens to look cool. You are always better off buying a non-messed with truck and then mess with it yourself.

Ask him if you could come take a look at it and drive it. If he says no, then buyer beware. I'd whip out 1,500 cash and see what he says. Don't care much for the taillights though, and that he doesn't show pics of the other side.

I notice that the master cyl. is pretty low in the pictures which could mean leaky wheel cyls. The transmission hump has a square cut out for the shifter, mine is round (same year) I think the round one is correct ? No heater , no spare carrier, no turn signals or switch that I can see, where are the windshield wipers ? is it missing the wiper motor as well ? whats the lever just under the dash that has a round handle on it ? fenders have been cut up and the tail lights are in the body ( stock is at the end of the bumper, which also looks like it's been shortend front and back)

As for the price, you dont get much cruiser for your money in L.A. but sometimes its better to by a complete basket case for very little than a driver that needs almost everything gone through. At least with the basket case you can do each project right ONCE, rather than going over what the previous owner did half assed. Unless you have alot of room and resources...I think I would offer much less or pass based on the photos (which are not all that detailed)

knuckledragger, the lever with the round handle is the hi/lo shifter. This is a cruiser with vacuum transfer case.Works great.

Thanks, i've heard of the vacume operated T-case but never saw one. Its got to be quieter than the linkage type !

Nope... the early t-case is a lot louder than the later ones. It has something to do with the shape of the gears.The good part is that you can go from 2wd to 4wd without stopping, just by pulling a switch. I can also put my t-case in Low with 2wd. I don't have locking hubs in the front but some does...

[quote author=Nadeau71 link=board=1;threadid=5680;start=msg45522#msg45522 date=1064703069]
Nope... the early t-case is a lot louder than the later ones. It has something to do with the shape of the gears.The good part is that you can go from 2wd to 4wd without stopping, just by pulling a switch. I can also put my t-case in Low with 2wd. I don't have locking hubs in the front but some does...
[/quote]
I believe its helical cut gears vs straight cut or something like that... IIRC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom