Can EGR be cleaned or rebuilt? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Truck runs fine untill the egr is hooked up. Can it be cleaned up and saved or am I out $350 or so? I have had it disconnected for months seems to run fine with the vacume plugged...Am I doing long term damage? Toyota cert mechanic says won't hurt any thing. No emmissions test required.

thanks

you can try and clean it but don't use anything that's solvent based as it will eat the rubber diaphram. the problem with trying to rehab an older EGR valve is that the rubber diaphram fatigues with age and use and doesn't want to work quite the way it did when new. you may extend the life for an unknown bit, but at some point you are going to have to replace it.

running with it plugged or cut off may produce a run rich condition in your setup and you may find your plugs fouling more frequently in addition to reduced gas mileage (we did when we ran ours this way at least). IIRC, the EGR also helps lower peak temperatures in the combustion chamber but don't quote me on that one.

I do know from experience that replacing the shot EGR valve with new made our truck run even better than it did with the old one plugged off but I also replaced the vacuum modulator and both BVSV's too.

my 2¢, take it for what it's worth,
-dogboy- '87 FJ60

only clean the tube that goes into the manifold.

I dont think they are $350, I have bought 2 in the last year, thought they were under $200

I've actually strayed a little Deep Creep - a Seafoam product - down into the vac line of my EGR. It was acting like it was stuck (rough idle, acted weird coming off the freeway, etc.) and that did the trick.

1. best if you remove EGR valve, then

2. Use carb cleaner,,,NOT IN THE LITTLE TUBE CONNECTOR ON TOP !

3. Tap (bang) 'bottom' on piece of wood, to dislodge and carbon flakes

4. Spray carb cleaner in 'side' tube connector...
5. Blow air ( medium to low pressure) in same tube joint.

6. Invert, spray carb cleaner in inlet...
7. Invert, let drain

Ya might get the carbon flakes out ( I've done it before)

Or ya can do what I did :
1. Remove EGR
2. remove EGR cooler & lines
3. Block off #6 exhaust feed and intake line
4. Using baseball bat, see how far you can 'line drive' and EGR valve :)
Recommend open field for step 4 , , ,

Pete

wood bat or aluminum?

thanks for all the input, I think I'll pull it and knock it around some before getting new one or actually knocking it out of the area.

HD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom