Can anyone educate me on Garmin GPS Maps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I purchased TOPO US 100k via a download. Apparently I can't view the map on my mac for two reasons:

- there is not a MAPSOURCE program for macs
- downloaded maps can't be transferred to a computer during download, or from a downloaded-to-device back to the computer

This seems so FUBAR given I paid $100 for the damn map. Is there any work-arounds for this? I know I can run a Microsoft OS on my Mac, but seems I still have a gotcha. I guess I can call Garmin to request the DVD instead, which comes with the MAPSOURCE program, however I just downloaded the map to my Garmin 60CSx.

Further, during the download, I was informed that the map could only be downloaded to one device. Hell, I wanted to use it on my Nuvi at the same time as my 60CSx. However the only way to use it would be to switch the micro SD card!

Dunno, I downloaded most of my maps for my 76Csx off Groundspeak and another website... All free and somewhat more detailed.

I tried to use the downloaded version on both my Nuvi and 60csx, no luck as once it is downloaded to the SD card for the particular device, it cannot be transferred to another. I bought the 24k version and decided to download it to my Nuvi 500 since the screen was bigger. Total rip-off by Garmin, I've called them and they don't care.

I probably need to search and not hijack this thread, but i have a Nuvi 650 i think... i want to add topo maps to it. I was told to download the topo maps onto a memory card, put it into the unit, then go into the settings and turn off the road map and turn on the topo map.

That "seems" way to easy. What format do the maps need to be in order for them to work? I'm sure not .pdf?

Yes, it's pretty much that easy. You can either download them from Garmin with your device plugged into the computer and it will go onto the SD card, or you can buy the SD card with the topos pre-downloaded. Then go into settings/maps and check or uncheck the maps you want to use. I chose to download from the website and it took about 5 hours.

I just went to gpsfiledepot.com and downloaded, FOR FREE, USGS 24k topo maps for my 60cxs, since my Nuvi already has the Garmin 24k's. You will need Garmin MapSource to run the maps though. I think they have a link to download it to your computer.

But as I have learned, the donwloads from Garmin are good for only one device. Which means in my case, I couldn't switch the microSD card from my 60CSx to my Nuvi. The Garmin tech. told me once downloaded the map is locked.

Yeah, that's what happened to me also, so if you already have MapSource on your computer from the Garmin download, go to gpsfiledepot.com and download the same, if not better free topos to your Nuvi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom