Can anybody install a body lift? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

:rolleyes: i should have mentioned i have a torch too....

Yeah, a torch might have helped. In this case. the two bolts that provided the trouble were the ones that also attached the recovery loops. They were a bit rounded and there was no way to get ahold of them w/o cutting the loops off. And, of course, I couldn't get the sawzall up there well enough to get a good cut on them. So, it took a combination of the sawzall and cutoff wheel to get enough space to then cut the bolt head off.

No issue really, just took more time than necessary to get the last two bolts off. And, of course, they were on opposite sides. Wah, wah, wah, I know, no whining...

It's on, finally!!

Well I decided to take a look at putting it on myself and the next thing I knew I was halfway into it. Really the toughest parts were removing all the bolts holding my T15 front bumper on and the steering extension. Everything else was a breeze and I did it the old fashioned way with no air tools, alone.:D If I did have some air tools and an extra set of hands I bet I could have finished in under 2 hours but alone I'd estimate the time at 3.5 hrs. I'm very pleased and happy it went so easily. All I need now is somebody that can weld to help me with installing my KMA rear bumper. Soooooo, anybody free this weekend??!!!:hmm:
Thanks
Jason

I think I'll be in town Jason.

:beer: R

Do you think the broken bolts need to be drilled out and the brackets bolted to the frame, then the bumper fitted and welded to the brackets? Some guys on Yotatech.com are saying that with it being welded to the frame this will cause premature frame failure/cracking due to flexing but I really don't plan to make this a hardcore offroad rig for a while. It's curretnly my DD so I can't afford to break anything. If anything I would think it would help strengthen the frame but they're talking about rear flex so I am not sure.
I know I don't have the proper drill and bits to clean those holes out though!
Jason

I've got to work on Sat from 10-2 or so, Sunday, I'm open...

you can drill them out or burn out the bolts with a tourch. It is generally better to bolt on a bumper that way the lighter brackets can twist and bend around the axis of the bolt before the stronger frame does. welding it completly on will create a rigid spot at the frame that will most likly transfer the energy of a collision into the frame causing more damage. then again just about anything can be fixed if the desire is there.

saturday is out for me but, i will also be around sunday..

Well I guess I need to start trying to drill them out then, no torch in my arsenal!! I will hit up Lowes and see what kind of bits I need to get this thing going.
Thanks

Jason, you can pick up a torch for just a little more than I quality bit will cost you, and you'd be surprised how often you would use it after owning a torch.

Without know if those bolt holes are used for the bumper install, I couldn't say. It wouldn't hurt, just a pain in the @ss to do.

I'd have a tendency to agree that welding could cause some issues down the road. Its one of those long standing debates, weld on or bolt on with good points on both sides. In this case, it just might hinge on if those bolt holes are needed and, if so, is it worth the hassle to drill them out...

Hmm, what kind of torch are we talking about then. I'm guessing I need to just drill out the bolts then, I know that the bracket has 3 holes so I'm leaning towards drilling out the broken ones now.:bang:

Jason, if you want to stop by my house tomorrow or friday evening, or sunday i can burn out or drill them out .. we can talk tourches too if you want. i got the tools.... and you got my number. now get r' done!!!

I have to cover somebody's 7pm shift tomorrow but Friday is good, I'm off at 5pm but could ask for some extra time if that's too late. Man! The help here never ceases to impress me!!:clap:

Jason, if you want to stop by my house tomorrow or friday evening, or sunday i can burn out or drill them out .. we can talk tourches too if you want. i got the tools.... and you got my number. now get r' done!!!

i should be home around 5-5:30 friday anytime after that is good (within reason.... meaning don't wait till 9:30 and expect me to still be sober : )

Cool, what's your flavor :beer:? I can be there around that time, hopefully before 6pm with refreshments. Just curious, with the bolts being broken off in the rails how do you go about heating them and getting them out?:hmm: One of them is protruding about 3/4" out but the others are busted flush with the rails.
Thanks a ton
Jason

i should be home around 5-5:30 friday anytime after that is good (within reason.... meaning don't wait till 9:30 and expect me to still be sober : )

we will figure it out.

weld a bolt to the broken bolt. then you will have something to wrench on, plus the heat from the welding will help break the bolt loose. it has worked for me several times. you just have to use a smaller diameter bolt so you can tack it to the broken one. let me know if i can help in any way.

The problem I encountered in removal was that they "snapped" off with pressure from the breaker bar. The bolts had rusted/deteriorated to a point that they were in pretty bad shape. The ones I cut off stripped/rounded the bolt head and were behind the tow points, limiting access. So, they had the pleasure of being removed via the sawzall and cutoff wheel...

Yep, it was all bad! Eric was able to heat things up and we got the remaining bolts out Friday but the brackets for my bumper aren't correct. He said he could modify them but I didn't want him to get that involved yet, plus it was after 9pm so it was getting late and was raining. Hmm, rain seems to be theme huh Jerry!!!
Eric made some new brackets to go inside of the frame for support, he's good! I asked Kyle with KMA to send some un-welded brackets with no bends so we could just weld them where we wanted and be done with it. This would ultimately save time fixing the original brackets.
Eric was very accomodating and was nice enough to let me keep my bumper at his house until the new brackets arrive.

Gotta say, I've not seen anything here nor met anybody that hasn't impressed me!

Jerry and Eric have been great and fellars whatever I can do to show my gratitude just let me know. Whether it be an extra set of hands or what, I'm always up for helping, repaying with respect and learning!

Jason:D:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom