Camping with a Cargo trailer. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know most guys on here like the purpose built off road trailer that can go anywhere the tow vehicle can. Truth is I like em too. However I never really camp anywhere off road, and doubt that I will ever camp out on a trail away from the trail head. I was wondering if anyone just uses an enclosed cargo trailer, and if so can you post pics on how you outfitted it? I think if done right it can be a pretty good way of camping.

I don't personally have one, but I recently looked at some cargo trailers that had pop-out/fold-out tents on a side. A rather interesting concept that would make camping in a cargo trailer much more comfortable. Just food for thought.

That's something that Boy Scout troops do pretty often. If you google that you'll find some interesting mods.

Just did this couple weeks back with some buddies. Was helping build an extension to hunting cabin. We just took a 18ft long enclosed landscaping trailer. Trailer was drop down rear with two side doors. We hung the cots on the wall mounts on the drive down. We used cots to sleep off the hard floor and two guys brought inflatable mattresses. All of our coolers, 2- 20lb propane tanks, various drinks, and all dry foods in rubbermaid bins were stowed in trailer. We did use two generators to power stuff.

One note, make sure that trailer has ground clearance to get where you intend to make camp.

I'd recommend not storing propane tanks inside an enclosed trailer. It may be overcautious, but if you have a leaking cylinder it's far better to have it outside where the gas tends to disperse.

Thus, I'd argue that one of the first design issues in utilizing an enclosed trailer for off-road camping support would be to provide tank mounts behind the hitch to secure gas tanks there.

Another alternative might be to provide a ventilated compartment to mount them in. Not sure how that idea flies with the fire marshal or accepted design practice, but I do know that welding gas distributors sometimes use what appears to be an enclosed box. On closer inspection, these have numerous ventilators and sometimes a grid-work floor that permits leaks to disperse safety.

I've seen all kinds of those that people have converted here and on expedition portal as well.
You need to check out livin lites trailers, http://www.livinlite.com/ that's what they build cargo's that convert into campers, all aluminum and really nicely done as well as fairly priced. You may be able to get some ideas off their site or contact them if you don't already have an inclosed. When we purchase our next cargo it will for sure be one of those!
Cheers and happy researching/designing/building just make sure to post pictures when you get it on it's way.

Advrider

That's something that Boy Scout troops do pretty often. If you google that you'll find some interesting mods.

google results suggest that cargo trailers w/scout gear get stolen.

...Another alternative might be to provide a ventilated compartment to mount them in. Not sure how that idea flies with the fire marshal or accepted design practice...

Fire Marshal = buildings and things that might burn them, DOT = things that move on roads.

Fire Marshal = buildings and things that might burn them, DOT = things that move on roads.

Maybe in New Mexico, but other states have different sets of rules. Admittedly, if you're commercial, you're generally covered by DOT everywhere, but private individuals will typically run into problems with fire services before they ever have an issue with DOT.

Regardless of the enforcing authority, safety should be #1 priority.

Being a fireman/medic I know the problems with storing pressurized liquids/gasses. A google search showed some pretty cool videos on you tube of what Im after. I looked at the trailers that have a "pop-out" style bed on the sides, but they start around $8k. Like I said, Im only a FF/medic. Maybe something will pop up on craigslist soon.

"google results suggest that cargo trailers w/scout gear get stolen."

I doubt anyone would bother with our troops trailer- it definitely doesn't look like anything valuable...

but seriously, is the theft because it's Scout gear, or because it's an enclosed trailer? Or just poorly secured?

If you already had a cargo trailer for other things, then updating it for camping makes sense. But if you don't have one, why bother? It makes more sense to get a used travel trailer and repair it . Or use the frame to make a teardrop

If you already had a cargo trailer for other things, then updating it for camping makes sense. But if you don't have one, why bother? It makes more sense to get a used travel trailer and repair it . Or use the frame to make a teardrop

Because you cant use a travel trailer, or tear drop to haul things with. The cargo trailer would be dual purpose.

With the down turn in the construction industry I would guess that cargo trailers have dropped in price and that there are more than a few available used.

The problem with sleeping in a metal box is that there will be a considerable amount of condensation on the interior. To be comfortable you would need to insulate the walls, floor etc.. I guess you could build removable modular units for the kitchen etc to maintain the dual use aspect but I suspect it would be more work than it was worth, you may as well just get a small used travel trailer.

If you just plan to haul gear I think it would work great. All you would really need are a few shelves and a way to secure stuff so the load didn't shift.

Because you cant use a travel trailer, or tear drop to haul things with. The cargo trailer would be dual purpose.

Then that is my point.. You want a cargo trailer and would use it camping..

Getting a flatbed trailer and building a camper box to slide on when you want may be another option.

Cargo trailers used don't see to be dropping in price much. But you do see more of them. It seems more guys are giving up buildings and hanging onto their trailers.

Being a fireman/medic I know the problems with storing pressurized liquids/gasses...

so you've gone through Fire I, maybe II.

ever had a tank go 'boom' on you personally, on or off-duty?

so you've gone through Fire I, maybe II.

ever had a tank go 'boom' on you personally, on or off-duty?

Never boom, but I was standing next to one during a structure fire when it popped off. Pretty loud and exciting until it released enough pressure to seal the pop off valve. Needless to say it was pretty exciting for a few seconds.

SO to bring this thread back... I just bought a small-ish enclosed cargo trailer (5.5x8' at about 5.5' interior height)

It is my plan to make this a dual purpose trailer. I had a WAY COOL fiberglass "egg" Trillium 4500 trailer. GREAT for the camping part, not great for the hauling part. I drive on my BFG ATs and bring my swampers... five 35" swampers were WAY too much for the camper to carry... I think it is going to be GREAT to be able to carry my tires, spare parts, tools etc etc in the trailer AND sleep in it. I plan on adding a trailer-style door with a screen door, windows, vents, power and a fold down bunk or 2.

And I'm going to poke around and see if there is an "easy" way to hinge the lid so that I can raise the roof... ala the VW camper tops... to gain more headroom, optionally.

Picking it up tomorrow...
3n43k83md5Z65U05P3b16ac3e29e682bd1da5.jpg

I used an enclosed trailer as a camper for several years. It was a small fiberglass unit from Chariot Trailers orginally designed for hauling one large or 2 small motorcycles. It came with a rear ramp door and RV type side door with a screen. The first time I camped in it it rained all weekend and I about went mad inside this coffin. Very shortly after that trip I installed 2 large slliding windows, an awning over the rear door, 12 volt lights, 115 VAC outlet and a roof vent. The bed was just a normal camp cot but raised up on a 2x6 frame to make storage room under. A shelf was placed up front in the vee-nose and a porta-potti stored under. It worked quite well for me but eventually sold as it was just too small.

One feature I really liked that is found on most cargo trailers was the drop-down ramp door. I used mine as a patio. Installed some leveling legs and an awning. Used to set back there in my camp chair, table and a couple of brews and dream I was on the back porch of my someday cabin. :beer:

Ace

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom