Camping Question, Turning off Door Lights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have one of those Cabela tents which you can back the truck into. It is very nice when camping in the buggy Idaho woods and you need something from inside the car. The question is: How do you turn off the safety door lights (bottom of door) when the tailgate is open? Is there an easy way?

I have one of those Cabela tents which you can back the truck into. It is very nice when camping in the buggy Idaho woods and you need something from inside the car. The question is: How do you turn off the safety door lights (bottom of door) when the tailgate is open? Is there an easy way?

Remove the bulbs

Get LED's if you are worried about the power drain. If you are worried about it being too bright, just stick something over the lights.

I believe you have to engage the latches on the bottom door as if it was closed. Just don’t forget to release it before trying to shut the gate. This may go for the top as well but I can't remember it has been a while.

That is the ticket! I haven't got around to the 2 battery mod. With the hot temps and the fridge running all night, the added door lights might make it difficult to start in the morning.
Thanks!

You have to engage the latches in the tailgate first then do the one on the glass, this will turn off all rear interior lights.

The tailgate has absolutely nothing to do with turning the lights off while the tailgate and liftgate are open. Only the liftgate does. With the liftgate open, take a screw driver and close the locking mechanism in the lock. Onece you have moved it and you hear a click, move it some more till you hear another click. The lights will now be off. Now before you close the liftgate, release the lock mechanism with the handle on the liftgate. I do it all the time.

Buck Buchanan

The tailgate has absolutely nothing to do with turning the lights off while the tailgate and liftgate are open. Only the liftgate does. With the liftgate open, take a screw driver and close the locking mechanism in the lock. Onece you have moved it and you hear a click, move it some more till you hear another click. The lights will now be off. Now before you close the liftgate, release the lock mechanism with the handle on the liftgate. I do it all the time.

Buck Buchanan

He is absolutely correct. Ignore my post on the tailgate, make sure you DOUBLE click the upper hatch and you are good to go.

Sweet.
I have wondered the same.

Faq! Faq!

There is an LED replacement bulb for the door lights that fits exactly and requires no mods. I got them from Superbrightleds. The power drain is so low, that your battery could power them for months and still start the truck.

Buck has the proceedure for turning them off. Some electrically smart person(ie not me) could do the 80 series community a favor by putting a switch in that circuit and being able to disable that liftgate circuit.

Lots of things must be going wrong in the world if something I said was worthy of faq.

Buck Buchanan

Who you callin' a faq?

:D:D:D

I know it's something stupid, but I was wondering the same thing. It's not unusual that the little things get by me...oohh! look! something shiny! gotta go!

We have a drive in theater here, and everyone leaves their doors open to sit outside and hear the stereo. First thing I did with my rig was unplug the bottom little door bulbs, and unplug the door chime. for light we just have to flip on the roof light switches.

-Eddie

With the liftgate open, take a screw driver and close the locking mechanism in the lock. Once you have moved it and you hear a click, move it some more till you hear another click. The lights will now be off. Now before you close the liftgate, release the lock mechanism with the handle on the liftgate. I do it all the time.

Buck Buchanan

Exactly what I do.

Ok, this coensides with my rear cargo light install. I'll touch on the hatch switch but the full write up on the proper install for a cargo light is about a week away.

Open the rear left hand side quarter panel door (no need to remove the panel), reach in and pull out the wire bundle:
flex015.jpg

flex014.jpg

The Red/White wire runs to the switch in the hatch, it then becomes a Red/Yellow on the other side of the connector. Pulling the pin out of the connecter on either side will prevent the rear hatch from supplying a ground signal to the light circuitry. This will keep the rear door and roof light from ever comming on when the hatch is open. This will also DISABLE the warning light at the dash when the rear hatch is open, while the rest of system works as it should. With the tent you might just want to leave it as is. To correct the warning light a simple diode at the factory diode pack needs to be added and then a wire run back to the rear hatch switch. This will triger the warning light when the hatch is open. In my cargo light writeup I'll address how to use this to also have the hatch switch only trigger the new light while none of the others.

Factory diode pack (at drivers kick panel) with the piggy backed for the rear hatch switch:
flex005.jpg

The unconnected side of the diode runs back to the hatch switch. The other side ties to a Red/White wire, which is the one that runs to the dash warning light. The brown wire I have runs to my alarm. Also note that connecting an alarm to this Red/White wire IS A MUST! Otherwise only the front doors or rear doors will be the ones that trip the alarm. -- Which thanks to the great dealer install job, started all this....I hate going back and correcting amateur's chop jobs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom