Camp Trailer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dumpolina

SILVER Star
Threads
Tell me about your camp trailer.
What do you love what do you hate what would you do different?
I gotta do something sooner than later.
Its just me, Mr. Kitty and Scout so size isn't much of an issue
Scout can't get in a RTT, we tried she said ya no
Looked at an A-Liner today, pretty sweet but dang they want more than I paid for all my junk combined!

I really like the idea of the rooftop tent on a trailer. Trailers are fun to build too.

When i take the ol lady and the kids camping its easier to just take the sh!tbox trailer. I'm happy sleeping in the truck when I go by myself.

I did some work on an Adrenaline trailer last summer. They and others like them are really cool campers, but are pricy.

Are you wanting to go camping or "glamping"? Not many people know how to rough it anymore. It seems like camping has gone from making coffee in a percolator sitting on a rock in the fire to a jet boil and a French press. I don't need or want all the comforts of home when I am camping, but it keeps the women around me from complaining as much.

I have no problem roughing it, but to get away longer than 36 hrs or so I gotta take both the dog and the cat. Mr. Kitty's diabetic and only lets me give him his insulin injections... I need refrigeration and A/C and enough room for Scout to keep clear of Mr. Kitty

My thought is a small hard side camp trailer I can double tow behind the flatbed and tow behind the FJ60 when that materializes.
Looked at a lot of stuff yesterday, looking like the best solution is a truck camper which I HATE!!!! But that may be the reality I gotta deal with.
So now scouring Craigslist for a ratty old pop up slide in for a 6' bed that doesn't leak or stink too much :confused:

Last edited:
A trailer is nice because if you want to take your truck you can just leave and not have to tear down camp or pack up. I hate pulling doubles because no matter how hard you try not to you will end up in a situation where you have to back up. Before we bought our trailer I was looking for a hi lo hardside popup. They are pretty nice.

Here's my "Suitcase" trailer.. home build and purchased while I was stationed in Montana. 133in long, about 60in wide. Box: 39x68x23 3/4in plywood. Frame: Angle Iron.. . Likes: Light- 800lbs makes it easy to man handle, Low profile, Simple, Matching color..... Dislikes: only the box.. Potentially for sale

KIMG1162.JPG

KIMG1525.JPG

KIMG2745.JPG

KIMG1187.JPG

How about a cheap used popup with an axle upgrade to get a little more clearance. I like our Jayco Baja but it would be overkill for what you're looking for. Will the 60 be street legal? A small/light enough popup with a lift kit could work ok and be inexpensive and able to be towed behind the 60. And they frequently have small refrigerator and stove options in them that will help with cooking and keeping kitty's insulin cold. I like your thought with the slide-in truck camper too. Then you can tow and camp with the truck and have the trail rig behind you. Make a basecamp with the truck/camper and run trails with the trail rig. Another thing I've seen people do is attach an old popup to a long trailer that they can also fit their trail rig onto.

Grant - I don't know if your sub could pull a trailer longer than the one you currently own but lots of folks slap their popup sideways on the front of their flatbed trailers. Often times these are gooseneck trailers so I don't know if a bumper pull could support the weight but that maybe something to explore. Or maybe change up the tow rig and get a gooseneck trailer for this solution, provided of course, you can store such a trailer at your place.

I was camping at Moab this past weekend and the lady next to me had a 2020 Taco pulling a 1963 ONE OWNER trailer. Dude, it has propane powered lamps inside and a true ice box instead of a fridge :oops: .It was perfect for her doggos and it sounds like you're exploring that option as well.

I will be building one of these by hand once I get set up in Mt. you certainly have the skills to do it...

478-1030x687.jpeg

11825703_10205822135690637_274191317390361125_n.jpg

Grant is doing a major drivetrain conversion on the 60 so I'd imagine he may not have the time/desire to take on another project but I could be wrong 🤔

Thanks you guys this all helps me brainstorm and think in different directions
I don't see a pop up camp trailer as an option because of the need for A/C
Think Farmington in September - wind and 90's
A friend has a pop up truck camper like a FWC and uses AC with the weather curtains closed that works well enough
Mr. Kitty doesn't wheel... plan is to have a set up he can hang in at base camp with heat or AC while Scout and I hit trails.
@BionicCruiser Yep seriously looked at building, @alia176 is right I have too many projects and a 50hr a week job, I need to straight line this to a solution to make this season happen.
I may build something once the 60 is complete and get a stop gap for this season
@alia176 I moved on from the suburban, currently have an older ram 24v but a long trailer won't fit into my yard... 19' is about my limit
I go back and forth whether an 8.1 suburban or gasser Expedition would have a large enough interior. Adding an AC unit isn't impossible, I really need to get inside one to test it out.
I really don't like the whole outside kitchen thing... I've done enough in New Mexico and Colorado to know that heating Mountainhouse in a drizzly windstorm under a blue tarp ruins all the fun
At this point I think the simplest solution is an older 8-foot bed slide in pop up truck camper. If you guys come across anything lemeno
Poor old Dodge is gonna have some work to do... +/-2000lb camper in the bed, 7000lb trailer/crawler ooof
I'm also looking hard for a suburban to examine and possibly trade the club cab 6' bed ram for a single cab 8' bed for better truck camper options... length is the issue, this is the longest wheel base I can use to get the trailer in/out of the yard

Sounds like you got it worked out Grant, will keep an eye out for a 8' cabover camper. I know I've seen lots of popups with A/C units up top but no need to add two trailers if can be avoided. Let me know your budget for the cabover as I see them on Expo at times.

If you want to get a feel of a truck camper, check out Vantastic Vans on Wyoming. They have several to look at. There are a few for sale on CL. Some have slideouts for more room.
I have had 3 different Truck campers. I liked all of them. One was a small one the had a pop up option, that made it tall enough to stand in when camping , but cranked down when traveling down the road. We had that one on a Ford Ranger with a V6.
Our last two, had generators and roof top AC, heater, water heater, and a nice bed, stove, and dinette. Toilet and shower, too. I loved those setups and we flat towed our Jeep all over the place. Had those on a Chevy 3/4 ton long bed with a 6 .0 V8. It got about 8-10 mpg. We put on AirLift bags, to level it, and added a front winch. This got us way back off the grid.
I think you are looking in the right direction for your needs for the kitty and yourself.

I have also seen lots of popups with AC units up top. I don't have one on mine because I just pick my camping locations to not be hot when I camp there. When I'm off-grid, I use the propane system for my refrigerator. It even works better than A/C power to keep it cold.

I remember looking at it at one point, and to run an AC throughout the day, you really need to be connected to 30amp service, or leave a generator running all day. Unless there is some ultra-efficient new AC setup, it won't run off the battery alone.

@Mauser ya I’ve looked at skoolies but dang that’s a lotta work to go 60mph and burn diesel at 4-6mpg.
I saw that current pop-top also, looks tooooo long but if it’s around manana I’ll have a look at it. That Ford looks to me to be a long bed and the camper is out of the tail gate too
@krazykat69 ya I was at vantastic last weekend $22000 new. Holy cow! Supply and demand

Used is the way to go on any popup, truck camper or trailer , to save up front money. I bought all of mine off of CL.

@Mauser ya I’ve looked at skoolies but dang that’s a lotta work to go 60mph and burn diesel at 4-6mpg.
I saw that current pop-top also, looks tooooo long but if it’s around manana I’ll have a look at it. That Ford looks to me to be a long bed and the camper is out of the tail gate too
@krazykat69 ya I was at vantastic last weekend $22000 new. Holy cow! Supply and demand
When I was a kid I rode the short bus. It was a 4x4 3/4 ton Chevy with a 4 speed granny gear box. That thing was badass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom