Camo paint tips (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not sure if this qualifies as tech, but here goes.

I am going to be painting a rattle can, desert camo deal on my 40. Any tips on maiking it look fairly decent?

Thanks!

to make it look good DONT MESS UP!!!!!

but really i hear that dull colors are easer and better for rattle cn pant jobs. thats my 2 centts

Scottfj40. I have fj40, did similiar paint job. 1. don't spend a lot of money or time, not worth it. 2. neutralize or remove all oil or grease on surface, paint won't stick to it Dirt also. 3. don't bother with rust removal. 4. I taped out glass(all of it) then sprayed with Aervoe Industries Military and Rec Veh. paint.(http://www.aerove.com). This seemed to be areally good quality as well as color. 4. Do small areas first, like only the hood, pencil in a pattern with color indications, spray, don't like, redo till your happy. 5. check out cammo web sites,There are lots, for patterns, ideas. 6. Don't bother to tape crisp edge between colors, not worth it, military doesn't bother with it. Have fun don't breath the paint, BAD.

Make sure you go over itwith satin finish clear helps to seal the paint thats what I did anyway :dunno:

If you want to get a regular camo pattern or care about how it looks you could find a camo pattern on the internet, or a t-shirt, scan it, print it as a transparency, buy a old overhead projector and use the transparency with the overhead to trace your camo pattern on the car, labelling color codes. Hardest part is keeping distance correct from the projector and part of car that you are working on.
-Must give credit to Woody for this one :bow:

I don't know where you live but around here we have lots of Army/Navy supply stores, have you checked with any to see if they have templates? At one time when I was in the Air Force there was a rumer that the guys at the base in the paint shop would paint a camo job for next to nothing, don't how you would check, but painting ( actually it's the prepping ) a vehicle is a real pain so it might be worth it to check with your local Army/Navy supply.

I did mine with rustoleum.....light blue, medium blue, black, machine gray.

First coat was light blue....did large patches....2nd coat was medium blue, again large patched. The truck is all painted at this point, with big splotches of those two colors. My wife then cut out 4-5 stencils and we did machine gray next followed by black, using stencils at random and making sure to overlap at random too.

One of my stencils was shaped like the state of Wisconsin...always neat to see people notice that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom