Cam Gear Removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OKMike

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey Guys--quick one. Tearing down our F2 motor to take parts to the machine shop. Trying to remove the timing gear on the end of the cam shaft. Pulled the camshaft no problem and removed the snap ring in front of the gear on the end of the camshaft. Do I need a puller? A BFH? How do I get the gear off? Thanks!

Use a puller. And small detail...it’s a 2f, not a f2.

5DB16CBF-4CDC-4E09-BBFF-8CD36FAD87ED.png

B21A9C76-D8F2-4710-975F-B1FE3DFC4EFD.png

412222C8-AA9A-449D-BCE7-E5BD70A6B50E.png

6D102A02-6CB9-4A33-99AC-BFE45FCC7C9C.png

I think he means the camshaft gear? Need a puller for that too. Or maybe a hydraulic press might work.
I did mean the camshaft gear. Haynes says you need a pulled for the crankshaft gear but doesn’t mention the gear attached to the camshaft.

I just took mine to the machine shop and had them do it for me.
Thanks Travis. Going there anyway —might as well have them do it.

Thanks, John. IHaynes shows removing the small gear on the crankshaft with a puller like your pics. Was asking about the large gear attached to the camshaft. It has a snap ring which I was able to take off with snap ring pliers. The gear seems on the camshaft pretty tight. Didn’t want to start banging or yanking on it until I checked with folks on here.

Thanks, John. IHaynes shows removing the small gear on the crankshaft with a puller like your pics. Was asking about the large gear attached to the camshaft. It has a snap ring which I was able to take off with snap ring pliers. The gear seems on the camshaft pretty tight. Didn’t want to start banging or yanking on it until I checked with folks on here.
Banging on it is bad, camshafts break. Ask me how I know........

Put mine in 50 ton press at work. Was getting close to max before it let go. Very surprised how tight it was.

Put mine in 50 ton press at work. Was getting close to max before it let go. Very surprised how tight it was.
Wow. Guess if ain’t coming loose with PB Blaster and a Harbor Freight pry bar. 😂 My Buddy has a shop press. I’ll try that. If it doesn’t work I’ll ask the machine shop guy if he can press it out. Thanks, Brother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom