Calling all genius, t-case help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys n gals...great site and a sunny hello from South Africa.
I've got serious 'jeepenstein' that i need some help with. I've pretty much identified most of the drivetrain except for the gearbox and transfer case. The previous owner is convinced it's from a Prado (80 series), but i'll try describe what can't be seen in the photos. It's 5pd fwd shift (gear shift and Hi/lo are on gearbox) and the t-case has the port for a shifter on top but it has a plate cover. I'm convinced it's a r151 box purely from pictures i've seen but it could be an r150, i just don't know. At the top of the box (by shifter base) there is rubber tubing that goes to the base of hi/low shifter and another that goes down to a nipple on the 'actuator' on the t-case. I'm not sure if it's purely venting but there are no other tubes going anywhere else so i'd have to think it is. At this stage it's running 2wd probably because all the wiring going from the transmissin area to the engine bay ends off with 2 plugs both of which are blanked off. There are 2 wires coming from the transmission going to some relay in the dash that i can hear click when i engage 'lo', but thats it. I'm hoping it's a part time 4wd t-case that once i figure out how to wire it up the 4wd will engage but i don't know where to start and don't want to risk damaging anything by applying power to the actuator (i would't even know which pins to give juice). So i guess i'm hoping one of you will recognise the setup and maybe identify exactly what i have. I'm scared it's a permanent 4wd with cdl, in which case there's something seriously wrong in the t-case, but lets see what you doods and doodettes rekon?
Much appreciated
Rick

84449494eu4.jpg

54984637zu9.jpg

43285899tj8.jpg

81315817ln0.jpg

I have no business answering under a title of genius but that doesn't look like my Tcase. I thought a Prado was a 90 series. Someone on mud knows the answer for sure but you might want to check the 90 series and see if it matches there's.

It could be off an hdj80? The problem is there was a limited production of part time 80's i think from '90-'93....i've just posted on the 90's thread but i've read alot on this and it seems like one of the limited 80's with electric actuated part time and no abs...but i'm not sure...

I was under the impression (right or wrong) that all the 80 series cases had both outputs offset to the right side (as seen from inside the truck)? This one looks like the rear output is centred.

A little while ago an LX owner had a question about the tranny he had in his truck. I did some research and it would seem that Jeep used an Aisin tranny that would bolt up to our engines. I'd guess that this is not only the tranny but the t-case as well.

The outputs of out t-case both offset to the same side.

edit: that was an auto tranny but I would imagine any Jeep tranny with that bolt pattern could be used.

First stop for me would be a Jeep forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom