Calling 6BT Cummins Swap Experts! (auto trans) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
fzj80.jpg

Putting a 6BT 12 valve cummins into this 94 FZJ80, done lots of research but im just wondering if anyone has done the swap with the 47rh transmission? I want to use an auto if I can.

Axis industries sells an adapter to convert the 23 spline 47rh to the factory Toyota hf2a transfer case. My main concern is with how long the 47rh transmission is (31.5") compared to the a442f (28 inches long) my fzj80 has. Its roughly 3.5" inches longer than the stock toyota transmission.

I know people put LS in these land cruisers, and they use 4l80e (26.5 inches long) they also use the nv4500 which is 25.5 long. I am wondering if there is enough room behind the tcase before it hits the gas tank or anything else. Not worried about redoing the driveshafts.

Basically can you use a transmission that is 31.5 inches long (6 inches longer than the other common options, 3.5 inches longer than stock)

Thanks guys!

my swap pushed my transfer case back about 6 inches, I just made a new crossmember and had a driveshaft made. there's lots of room before you have to worry about the fuel tank hitting the x-fer case, so I wouldn't view that as much of a concern.

my swap pushed my transfer case back about 6 inches, I just made a new crossmember and had a driveshaft made. there's lots of room before you have to worry about the fuel tank hitting the x-fer case, so I wouldn't view that as much of a concern.
You running a 6bt and 47re, with the 23 spline axis industries adapter? I was doing some more reading and I think I might go with the 48re and standalone controller. The 48re is a few inches shorter than the 47re and also a stronger transmission.

From what I read you can run the standalone controller just off the 48re output speed sensor in the trans and the 12 valve TPS sensor.

Do you think this would be wise or do you see any issues with this set up? Appreciate your input!

You running a 6bt and 47re, with the 23 spline axis industries adapter? I was doing some more reading and I think I might go with the 48re and standalone controller. The 48re is a few inches shorter than the 47re and also a stronger transmission.

Do you think this would be wise or do you see any issues with this set up? Appreciate your input!

No - I'm using a nv4500 with a rockbug industries adapter. I do not like the way any other adapters work here. Rockbug replaced the shaft in the hf2a to mount on the nv4500 without the use of a spud and without milling anything to reduce strength.

I just have quite a lot of length in my setup and am able to answer those questions based off that. I don't see any issues with your setup - a lot depends on if you plan to add power and what you do with your cruiser.

I was a 1hdt with a h151 so I had no ECU prior, and very minimal wiring so I decided to retain that and stick with the nv4500. An automatic setup would be nice, but it would have been more work I didn't need to do. If my cruiser would have been auto, a 48re probably would have been my choice based off strength.

You can kind of see in one of these photos how much longer my driveshaft was, and that's fully compressed. I think it ended up being a total of almost 6 inches. And then a photo of the assembled hf2a and nv for fun.

IMG_20210414_191405.jpg

IMG_20210416_144100.jpg

I spent the morning talking to Axis Industries and we confirmed that his 23 spline adapter will work to mate the 48re to hf2a transfer case, so that is the route i'll be going.

I'll probably buy the pre-made engine mounts from adventure vehicles NW.

Any other tips or insight you can offer me on 6bt swapping? Things you wish you knew?

I plan on adapting the stock dodge AC compressor and alternator, what did you do for power steering and vacuum brakes? Does the 6bt vacuum pump have enough vacuum for the fzj80 brake booster?

I'm using the dodge alternator body with the Toyota alternator's regulator. If they're both denso's the regulator is a direct swap.

I'm not using the vacuum pump - I went to hydroboost for more braking power and more clearance on that side of the engine.

There's lots I wish I knew, but it's hard to say what is stuff I wish I knew for preference or for actual swap stuff. A lot of it is RHD specific stuff which you can see in my thread here -
Cummins swap time! - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/cummins-swap-time.1198273/

I'm using adventure vehicles accessory bracket, it's very nice. Using rockbug's engine mounts.

I spent the morning talking to Axis Industries and we confirmed that his 23 spline adapter will work to mate the 48re to hf2a transfer case, so that is the route i'll be going.

Any other tips or insight you can offer me on 6bt swapping? Things you wish you knew?

I plan on adapting the stock dodge AC compressor and alternator, what did you do for power steering and vacuum brakes? Does the 6bt vacuum pump have enough vacuum for the fzj80 brake booster?
Things I wish I had done:
Label and map all wiring harnesses during motor removal. Download the wiring diagram and FSM for your vehicle and start identifying the wires needed for the cummins ( oil pressure sensor, AC controls, coolant temp sensor, starter wire ). Once you’ve mapped those circuits in the engine compartment, it’ll make it easy to adapt to the cummins. You can use Toyota sensors on the cummins so your dashboard gauges work.

Save all fittings and connectors off your Dodge and Toyota power steering systems. You can use them to build new hoses.

Things I wish I had done:
Label and map all wiring harnesses during motor removal. Download the wiring diagram and FSM for your vehicle and start identifying the wires needed for the cummins ( oil pressure sensor, AC controls, coolant temp sensor, starter wire ). Once you’ve mapped those circuits in the engine compartment, it’ll make it easy to adapt to the cummins. You can use Toyota sensors on the cummins so your dashboard gauges work.

Save all fittings and connectors off your Dodge and Toyota power steering systems. You can use them to build new hoses.
Solid advice.

I bought from Adventure vehicles NW. Solid guys. Same NV4500/Hf2A case for me. I know thats not what the OP is asking but its a good option.

We should also be talking more about widening the wheelbases on these things when we lift/modify. There is more room at the back of the rear wheel well, and more room at the front of the front arch. Consider it for driveshaft lengths. If you could reuse your rear by stretching the rear end back a bit, it might be worth it for the slight gain in stability, fender clearance, departure angle, plus you can simply cut and sleeve lower and upper links which gives you stronger lower links. Or better yet get a wishbone upper and ditch the rear panhard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom