caliper bolt stripped (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.barryhause.com
The saga continues.

In the process of installing the new pads I discovered the front left brake caliper was kind of wobbly. The reason: a stripped mounting bolt. Can someone tell me if there is a way to rethread the hole to make a new bolt fit? I am assuming the hole is stripped too.

bh

I have and am still going down this road,,, my pass side has the same problem,,

well you can either get a donor knuckle, I have one,,for the drivers side and install it

or you can do a helicoil, which you will probably have to pull the knuckle to drill it out and put in the coil pack,,, you might be able to tap it out the next size up, but will have to remmeber every time to put the right one in and calipers might have to be drilled to allow the larger bolt

or you can do the temp fix like I did,,,, ,JB weld,,,, has lasted bout 2 years (10k miles) but I have a 8962 front axel housing I am taking the right knuckle from to fix it right,,

pm me if you want to buy the knuckle,, include your email addy and your shipping addy

where did you get the knuckle and how much did you pay?

If it's just the bolt that's stripped, get a new bolt & retap the threaded hole. If it's the threaded hole, ditto 3Pitts on the helicoil, but ignore the JB weld. It's a safety item, for chrissakes!

Ask Todd Kaderabek what the previous owner of his erstwhile 62 thought was a reasonable fix for this problem before selling the truck to Toddzilla. Aw, shoot, I can't wait for Todd to chime in and he might find it too painful a memory to even talk about it - duct tape wrapped around the bolt to take up the slop!!!!!!! DPO - despicable previous owners.

A helicoil is better than original and will likely outlast the truck.

The same thing happened to me, on the driver's side. In fact, coming back from a long trip, the Cruiser spit out BOTH bolts, caliper dropped, *obliterated* the dust shield, ripped the hard brake line off. Did a field repair (plugged the hard line, which was ripped right at the base of the fitting, with a wittled piece of wood and zip ties...he, he!), limped back home.

I was going to do helicoil, but a much smarter Cruiserhead suggested tapping it for a fine-spline bolt a little bigger. Presto, problem solved.

Exiled said:
I was going to do helicoil, but a much smarter Cruiserhead suggested tapping it for a fine-spline bolt a little bigger. Presto, problem solved.

Yup. I just fixed my stripped knuckle about a month ago now.

RE-tapped the knuckle to standard size. I'm pretty sure it was 1/2" x20. Slightly larger than 12mm, then just use a metric 19mm hex to tighten that bolt down instead of your 17mm. It worked like a charm.

I did the helicoil route. I didn't have to remove the knuckle, just the caliper. Gary Kardum, who I consulted on the matter, recommeded taping to the next size up english thread (1/2" I think). He said the best fix was to remove the knuckle, weld the hole over, then re-drill and re-tap. I've rebuild the knuckle since installing the helicoil and it seems to be holding fine.

yea the jb weld was not the best or first option, ,, but what I could afford and the other bolt seemed to hold ok,,

I got an issue with miss matched bolts on the same object ,, not that there is really anything wrong with it, but I am sure to try to get the 1/2 bolt in the wrong hole and bugger up 2 holes,,, so I need to keep it simple and stupid

I could go with a better alternator for my 40 (gm) but I would probably forget waht i did at a later date and F it all up,,,

3pits said:
yea the jb weld was not the best or first option, ,, but what I could afford and the other bolt seemed to hold ok,,

I got an issue with miss matched bolts on the same object ,, not that there is really anything wrong with it, but I am sure to try to get the 1/2 bolt in the wrong hole and bugger up 2 holes,,, so I need to keep it simple and stupid

I could go with a better alternator for my 40 (gm) but I would probably forget waht i did at a later date and F it all up,,,

I had the same issue with my FJ62 - stripped knuckle (not bolt). used a metric helicoil to handle the same size bolt as I am a firm believer in keeping things the same.

Troy

So I've just had the same problem. I fixed it with a Helicoil and it's still giving me a lot of feed back in the pedal when I brake. Is there something wrong with the pads, rotor, caliper?

Same problem-I got another used knuckle since I was rebuilding the axle anyway.

Barry,
If you don't feel good about putting a helicoil in you could pull the knuckle off and take it to a machine shop. They can tap it out for you for really cheap.

old news

euclid said:
Barry,
If you don't feel good about putting a helicoil in you could pull the knuckle off and take it to a machine shop. They can tap it out for you for really cheap.

thanks. I haven't looked at the 60 forum for awhile--to busy with the semester. Cruiser work waits for springbreak.

I guess I forgot to mention I solved this problem several months ago (before GrayRock). Found a bolt that fit.

b

Didn't notice the post dates.

Glad you got it.

ps40-2 said:
thanks. I haven't looked at the 60 forum for awhile--to busy with the semester. Cruiser work waits for springbreak.

I guess I forgot to mention I solved this problem several months ago (before GrayRock). Found a bolt that fit.

b

Did you re tap it or just stick a bolt in there and tighten?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom