caliper bolt stripped

Joined
Mar 15, 2005
Messages
3,082
Location
on stage
The saga continues.

In the process of installing the new pads I discovered the front left brake caliper was kind of wobbly. The reason: a stripped mounting bolt. Can someone tell me if there is a way to rethread the hole to make a new bolt fit? I am assuming the hole is stripped too.

bh
 

3pits

 
Joined
Jan 14, 2005
Messages
2,230
Location
NE GA
I have and am still going down this road,,, my pass side has the same problem,,

well you can either get a donor knuckle, I have one,,for the drivers side and install it

or you can do a helicoil, which you will probably have to pull the knuckle to drill it out and put in the coil pack,,, you might be able to tap it out the next size up, but will have to remmeber every time to put the right one in and calipers might have to be drilled to allow the larger bolt

or you can do the temp fix like I did,,,, ,JB weld,,,, has lasted bout 2 years (10k miles) but I have a 8962 front axel housing I am taking the right knuckle from to fix it right,,

pm me if you want to buy the knuckle,, include your email addy and your shipping addy
 

Ming89FJ62

I smell bacon
GOLD Star
SILVER Star
 
 
 
Joined
Jul 31, 2002
Messages
1,562
Location
Palatine, IL
This sucks. Just had the same thing happen on the 62. Went the route of the new knuckle. Figured if I had to pull the bastard off then might as well replace the part. :mad:
 

Tinker

 
Joined
Apr 15, 2004
Messages
2,865
Location
Larkspur, CO
If it's just the bolt that's stripped, get a new bolt & retap the threaded hole. If it's the threaded hole, ditto 3Pitts on the helicoil, but ignore the JB weld. It's a safety item, for chrissakes!
 
Joined
Jun 11, 2004
Messages
1,070
Ask Todd Kaderabek what the previous owner of his erstwhile 62 thought was a reasonable fix for this problem before selling the truck to Toddzilla. Aw, shoot, I can't wait for Todd to chime in and he might find it too painful a memory to even talk about it - duct tape wrapped around the bolt to take up the slop!!!!!!! DPO - despicable previous owners.
 

Exiled

 
Joined
Jun 20, 2004
Messages
1,946
Location
Round Rock, TX
The same thing happened to me, on the driver's side. In fact, coming back from a long trip, the Cruiser spit out BOTH bolts, caliper dropped, *obliterated* the dust shield, ripped the hard brake line off. Did a field repair (plugged the hard line, which was ripped right at the base of the fitting, with a wittled piece of wood and zip ties...he, he!), limped back home.

I was going to do helicoil, but a much smarter Cruiserhead suggested tapping it for a fine-spline bolt a little bigger. Presto, problem solved.
 

muddogbob

 
 
Joined
Jun 13, 2003
Messages
580
Exiled said:
I was going to do helicoil, but a much smarter Cruiserhead suggested tapping it for a fine-spline bolt a little bigger. Presto, problem solved.
Yup. I just fixed my stripped knuckle about a month ago now.

RE-tapped the knuckle to standard size. I'm pretty sure it was 1/2" x20. Slightly larger than 12mm, then just use a metric 19mm hex to tighten that bolt down instead of your 17mm. It worked like a charm.
 
Joined
Mar 15, 2005
Messages
3,082
Location
on stage
wow! overwhelming response. So many options. I think I'll try the duct tape first.

thanks to all.
 

2mbb

SILVER Star
 
 
Joined
Sep 1, 2003
Messages
4,675
Location
WC, CA
I did the helicoil route. I didn't have to remove the knuckle, just the caliper. Gary Kardum, who I consulted on the matter, recommeded taping to the next size up english thread (1/2" I think). He said the best fix was to remove the knuckle, weld the hole over, then re-drill and re-tap. I've rebuild the knuckle since installing the helicoil and it seems to be holding fine.
 

3pits

 
Joined
Jan 14, 2005
Messages
2,230
Location
NE GA
yea the jb weld was not the best or first option, ,, but what I could afford and the other bolt seemed to hold ok,,

I got an issue with miss matched bolts on the same object ,, not that there is really anything wrong with it, but I am sure to try to get the 1/2 bolt in the wrong hole and bugger up 2 holes,,, so I need to keep it simple and stupid

I could go with a better alternator for my 40 (gm) but I would probably forget waht i did at a later date and F it all up,,,
 
Joined
Jul 7, 2004
Messages
199
3pits said:
yea the jb weld was not the best or first option, ,, but what I could afford and the other bolt seemed to hold ok,,

I got an issue with miss matched bolts on the same object ,, not that there is really anything wrong with it, but I am sure to try to get the 1/2 bolt in the wrong hole and bugger up 2 holes,,, so I need to keep it simple and stupid

I could go with a better alternator for my 40 (gm) but I would probably forget waht i did at a later date and F it all up,,,

I had the same issue with my FJ62 - stripped knuckle (not bolt). used a metric helicoil to handle the same size bolt as I am a firm believer in keeping things the same.

Troy
 
Joined
Aug 2, 2005
Messages
91
Location
Alamogordo, NM
So I've just had the same problem. I fixed it with a Helicoil and it's still giving me a lot of feed back in the pedal when I brake. Is there something wrong with the pads, rotor, caliper?
 

mmw68

CruiserCrap.com - pimping crap for your cruiser!
 
Joined
Dec 13, 2004
Messages
3,942
Location
Austin, Texas
I also had the stripped bolt on my knuckle - used a helicoil, I've taken the calipers off several times, and the heilcoil has help up very well.
 

euclid

 
 
 
Joined
May 15, 2002
Messages
5,929
Location
Jackson, MS
Barry,
If you don't feel good about putting a helicoil in you could pull the knuckle off and take it to a machine shop. They can tap it out for you for really cheap.
 
Joined
Mar 15, 2005
Messages
3,082
Location
on stage
old news

euclid said:
Barry,
If you don't feel good about putting a helicoil in you could pull the knuckle off and take it to a machine shop. They can tap it out for you for really cheap.
thanks. I haven't looked at the 60 forum for awhile--to busy with the semester. Cruiser work waits for springbreak.

I guess I forgot to mention I solved this problem several months ago (before GrayRock). Found a bolt that fit.

b
 

euclid

 
 
 
Joined
May 15, 2002
Messages
5,929
Location
Jackson, MS
Didn't notice the post dates.

Glad you got it.

ps40-2 said:
thanks. I haven't looked at the 60 forum for awhile--to busy with the semester. Cruiser work waits for springbreak.

I guess I forgot to mention I solved this problem several months ago (before GrayRock). Found a bolt that fit.

b
 
Top Bottom