cage plans? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
does anyone have any cage plans that they would be willing to let me use r know where i can get some id like to build one but not real good on makin plans

thanks
david

designing the cage is the easy part....bending is tuff. Benders plus notchers will run you $300-500, plus another $300+ in materials, plus $$$$ for all your screwups...as much work as I have done myself with my truck, the cage was still one thing I opted to work with a professional buddy and get done right the first time.

ive got all the tools and the people to help me i just dont know how to get all the measurments

Got my rig being done currently, by the same guy Woody had do his. He knows his sh*t and has completed and repaired a ton of cages. The front hoop and the hoop behind the seats take him more than a day to bend. As well the tested configurations of a seasoned bender/fabricator is worth the money, for safety and style.
IMHO you will save nothing, and it may turn out to look like "I did it myself"...............no offense.

if you've got the right tools, yer stylin....

check out http://www.pirate4x4.com and hit their Tech section. Bending 101 is one of the options in there, and it does a nice job of assisting with where bends happen and now to plan.

I spent a year studying cage designs prior to making mine....impact points, frame integration, seat mounting, tube size and bends, etc. Overall very pleased with it, but there are a handful of little things I'd still change.

next time...hehehe

[quote author=woody link=board=1;threadid=4681;start=msg35541#msg35541 date=1061985747]
Overall very pleased with it, but there are a handful of little things I'd still change.

next time...hehehe
[/quote]

please elaborate... :D

:beer:,

hehehe....first I'd slightly redesign my seat mounts to lower the seats yet a tad more...another 1/2" or so, maybe even an inch.

The top outer spreaders would extend about 1-1.5" less than they do currently, keeping the top a tad narrower, and the same width as a bikini top.

I'd do both overhead V-bars with .120 wall and not .095...one is replaced already due to a BHCC flop.

I'd kink both of those overhead V-bars for slightly more headroom...but can't due to garage door limits.

I've already added stainless mesh to the triangular openings above the drivers and passengers heads.

...think that's it...all minor stuff....

The only major change might come if I decide to eliminate the sheetmetal aft of the rear seats....shouldn't necessitate a whole new cage, but some creative splicing may be in order...will deal with that if/when it happens...

Woody,
Have you ever posted any pics of your rollcage? If not, can you?

go to ih8mud.com --> FJ40 Cage Ideas --> and mine is the blue Camo one...5 in there I believe...

OR...go to ih8mud.com --> white text link at bottom (Photos of our Trips) and browse thru for all the ones of my blue camo...

DSCF0010.JPG

Thanks Woody! I've seen the pics in the roll cage section, but didn't know the blue camo was yours. ( yah, I'm a rookie :-[) I'll look at the trail pics too! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom