Cadmium plating

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Steel, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Steel

Steel

Does anyone know of a place where I can send my old hardware and have it yellow cad plated?

Thanks

2. jcj_78FJ40

jcj_78FJ40

Interesting question. I would think that it would become more difficult to have stuff Cad plated since more current industry standards (like RoHS) no longer permits it. I think it’s because cadmium is very toxic if burned.

Why do this? For corrosion? I would think it would be cheaper to just buy stainless hardware.

3. projektdotnet

projektdotnet

looks?

4. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
    Albums:
    I had some stuff done here in KC, but there was only one place that would do it.
    Sent them a coffee can full of bolts and carb linkage parts, about 10# worth and they did a nice job and charged me $75. Don't know whether that is high or not as I had no comparison. Cad plating is getting much harder to find.
    A pic of some of the parts....

Ed
    Cadmium 003.jpg

5. Pete

Pete

I think the other guys are right about cad plating...I checked around a few years ago for some antique motorcycle work and a lot that used to do cad no longer did. If you check Hemmings you won't see any platers advertising cad.
    Has anyone tried the do-it-yourself kits that Eastwood and others have? They look like they'd work great for nuts and bolts and small brackets.

6. jm599

jm599

I looked hard last year for same thing. ended up using a lot of stainless on exterior and came up with something that turned out pretty decent for the bulk of the interior bolts.

I took the cadmium bolts, a few nuts, a few brackets, etc. blasted them in cabinet, then degreased. Later when painting body items... I used a gold colored primer that had some type of phosphating agent , then light coat of brass colored enamel and then clear coated them with ppg concept 2000 using a wire mesh screen stand to hold them upright. After about a week the coating was very hard and fairly durable.

during installation of them, I used brake caliper grease in a tube on the threads, It doesn't bleed in the heat. I am very pleased in the look and am hoping they hold up for decades without seizing, rusting, etc.

7. Steel

Steel

Yes, trying to keep the orginal hardware looking new. I guess any type platting that looks yellow/gold will do.

8. Coolerman

Coolerman SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
  9. KArmstrong

KArmstrong

A local guy (Des Moines) had to take his early E-Type goodies over to Lincoln, NE for cad plating ... and they weren't very excited about doing it and asked him not to spread the word.

Seems - as stated eralier - its not environmentally friendly and they'd really rather do the same pieces over and over again for a manufacturer rather than for "hobbyists".

He had tried the Eastwood home plating kit and wasn't satisfied with the results.

KAA

10. crushr

crushr

SOR sells bulk OEM style yellow cad-plated nuts and bolts in 10 packs.

11. thecrazygreek

thecrazygreek SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Most 10.9 (auto) grade bolts n nuts come yellow zinc plated...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.