1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cadmium plating

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Steel, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Steel

Steel

Does anyone know of a place where I can send my old hardware and have it yellow cad plated?

Thanks

2. jcj_78FJ40

jcj_78FJ40

Interesting question. I would think that it would become more difficult to have stuff Cad plated since more current industry standards (like RoHS) no longer permits it. I think it’s because cadmium is very toxic if burned.

Why do this? For corrosion? I would think it would be cheaper to just buy stainless hardware.

3. projektdotnet

projektdotnet

looks?

4. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
    Albums:
    I had some stuff done here in KC, but there was only one place that would do it.
    Sent them a coffee can full of bolts and carb linkage parts, about 10# worth and they did a nice job and charged me $75. Don't know whether that is high or not as I had no comparison. Cad plating is getting much harder to find.
    A pic of some of the parts....

Ed
    Cadmium 003.jpg

5. Pete

Pete

I think the other guys are right about cad plating...I checked around a few years ago for some antique motorcycle work and a lot that used to do cad no longer did. If you check Hemmings you won't see any platers advertising cad.
    Has anyone tried the do-it-yourself kits that Eastwood and others have? They look like they'd work great for nuts and bolts and small brackets.

6. jm599

jm599

I looked hard last year for same thing. ended up using a lot of stainless on exterior and came up with something that turned out pretty decent for the bulk of the interior bolts.

I took the cadmium bolts, a few nuts, a few brackets, etc. blasted them in cabinet, then degreased. Later when painting body items... I used a gold colored primer that had some type of phosphating agent , then light coat of brass colored enamel and then clear coated them with ppg concept 2000 using a wire mesh screen stand to hold them upright. After about a week the coating was very hard and fairly durable.

during installation of them, I used brake caliper grease in a tube on the threads, It doesn't bleed in the heat. I am very pleased in the look and am hoping they hold up for decades without seizing, rusting, etc.

7. Steel

Steel

Yes, trying to keep the orginal hardware looking new. I guess any type platting that looks yellow/gold will do.

8. Coolerman

Coolerman SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
  9. KArmstrong

KArmstrong

A local guy (Des Moines) had to take his early E-Type goodies over to Lincoln, NE for cad plating ... and they weren't very excited about doing it and asked him not to spread the word.

Seems - as stated eralier - its not environmentally friendly and they'd really rather do the same pieces over and over again for a manufacturer rather than for "hobbyists".

He had tried the Eastwood home plating kit and wasn't satisfied with the results.

KAA

10. crushr

crushr

SOR sells bulk OEM style yellow cad-plated nuts and bolts in 10 packs.

11. thecrazygreek

thecrazygreek

Media:
    Albums:
    Most 10.9 (auto) grade bolts n nuts come yellow zinc plated...

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">