CA emissions: LP EVAP Leak Test (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2mbb

SILVER Star
Threads
California has a new emissions test as of December 1, 2007. It is a low pressure leak test of the fuel EVAP system (LPFET). I was lucky enough to fail this test today (passed all the other tests, though). In talking with the technician, it seems they pressurize the system with nitrogen through the fill pipe the measure the leakage flow rate. I think he told me the limit leakage rate was 45 and my truck measured 90 (I don't know the units, though). He recommended I check the hoses for leaks.

I've done a quick check, and although things are a little dirty/dusty, none of the hoses seems brittle or damaged. The technician also implied that I should just look at the hose assoicated with the evap system, but shouldn't I also be concerned with vapor phase leaks at the gas tank, fill pipe, etc.? Short of replacing all the hoses, does anybody have any experience or recommendation with getting this repaired? Thanks.

Keep us posted... if looks like you may be the guniea pig on this one. There is a long tube that runs from the tank to the evap canister (I think). It is all dented and kinked on mine as it is the lowest on the frame rail and got hit while wheeling by the PO's. I do not know if that puts me at an advantage on this or not :)

Mark

fill the tank

pull the side panel in the rear pass side

pull the rubber hose off of the steel filler tube

place a plastic bag over the rubber hose

reinstall everything

go do the test again and let me know if that works :D as its what I'm planning on doing because i'm in the same boat

So I passed the test this weekend. I went through and replaced all the evap hose. There is hose behind the right rear quarter panel trim. There is hose under the right rear body (just in front of the bumper under a small skid plate). There is hose at either end of the evap pipe that follows the right frame rail and there is hose in the engine compartment that connects to the charcoal cannister and over to the carburetor. Toyota doesn't sell the hose in bulk, so I tried to source it from Napa. I used between 15 and 20 ft of 1/4 fuel hose, less than six feet of 3/8" fuel hose. There is a small amount of a larger diameter with a cloth overbraid (12mm ID it appears). The guy at Napa gave me 5/8" ID and that seemed too small, so I purchased these hoses from Toyota (positions 77201A and 77100F below). These hoses were $12 and $44 respectively from my local dealer (ouch!).

As I was replacing the hoses, I used a q-tip and lubricated the ID of each hose end with a little bit of silicone grease. I've used this in the past for my AIR hoses and it helps keep them from sticking and I think it helps keep the rubber soft. I'm hoping this will help make and keep a seal.

As I was replaceing the hoses I noticed that my cannister was not connected properly. There are two ports for 6mm (1/4") hose, one labeled "purge" and the other labled "to tank". The hoses connected to these were switched. I suppose I could have failed simply because the cannister was hooked up wrong. The test pressurizes the fuel tank through the gas fill neck. I'm guessing they must clamp off the hose at the cannister and check for leaks in between. I don't think the cannister will hold pressure since it has a vent in the bottom.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone in the future.
evap hoses.jpg

Last edited:
Here are some more pictures for reference. I still need to get my fuel tank recall work done and think they will replaces some of the hoses at the back. Good info 2mbb.
2f Emissions Control-1.jpg
2f Emissions Control-12.jpg

Thanks for all this info...I may need it soon when I finish the work I'm doing to my truck.

When I initially went in for my test, they didn't have this test. I recently took my DD 89 Tercel in and they administered this test. It passed. We'll see how it goes with the FJ60.

Thanks again

Yeah, so I replaced all the hoses shown in the top picture in Kevin's post #5. Hoses I didn't replace included the large filler hose and the liquid fuel supply and return hoses. The hoses I changed were all pretty accessible once you remove the quarter trim panel and the little skid plate. The ports on the fuel tank are up on top but located near the edge so you can reach them without moving the tank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom