CA DMV problem (sigh) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Something you could consider, is to buy a 75 or earlier frame and title, and use that to register your BJ. You would have to swap the frame number section on to the BJs frame. Then you can be smog exempt.

Almost every diesel in California had a valid reg in another state first. Then it's no big deal.

Something you could consider, is to buy a 75 or earlier frame and title, and use that to register your BJ. You would have to swap the frame number section on to the BJs frame. Then you can be smog exempt.

Almost every diesel in California had a valid reg in another state first. Then it's no big deal.

x2
This is the way I've brought two CDM bj-70s into Kalifornistan. No smog check required. No problems at all in Kali.
BUT, these were 17 digit vins on vehicles sold new in Canada. The NZ bj-42 may still have been nabbed even if the title was "washed" by a title service because of the vin.

I would send the title to a service, then try to register it in Nevada with a buddys address and either sell it in Nev or run it with Nevada plates if I was desperate. I don't know if that would work, but I believe Nevada is not so picky as Kali. Maybe some Silver Staters can chime in. If I were in Amaurer's shoes it would be my next avenue.

Good luck!

i know somebody who's up against the same problem right now. seems like a title swap is the easiest way to get around the issue.

as far as the new regs for 2011 are concerned about smgging the light dutie diesels: will this affect older diesels or just the ones produced/sold new after that year?
i was under the impression that any diesel produced before 2011 would be grandfathered in.......

In terms of the 2011 smog date and which vehicles will be smoged, that is the $100 question. It appears that all light-duty diesels will be required to be smog tested, but no one has been able to definitively give me an answer about older vehicles. The one point that I have kept coming back to is that diesels in CA are not smog-exempt, they simply are exempt until 2011 from being tested - big difference. I was so close to pulling the trigger on the 1HZ motor, but that would have been a very expensive gamble.

Jonathan

In terms of the 2011 smog date and which vehicles will be smoged, that is the $100 question. It appears that all light-duty diesels will be required to be smog tested, but no one has been able to definitively give me an answer about older vehicles. The one point that I have kept coming back to is that diesels in CA are not smog-exempt, they simply are exempt until 2011 from being tested - big difference. I was so close to pulling the trigger on the 1HZ motor, but that would have been a very expensive gamble.

Jonathan

That could change everything for me as well. However, would any of these diesels have problems passing the test on bio? I have no experience with this.

Jonathan

This will actually be a problem for everyone, regardless of how you got your BJ into Cali.

I've seen some thread around here where people talked about modernizations to exhaust that would get the engines to pass certain types of testing. Mostly particulate testing in other states I think.

We'd have to dig up what the proposed "smog" test is going to require and determine how possible it is to pass the engine in question. I have a feeling those of us with 3B's may be in trouble.

Anyway amaurer, sounds like they have you in a world of hurt. Are you trying with any EPA testing houses outside of California? If any of them can sticker the truck for "50 state" you might have a way to go. Probably really expensive though.

Yeah they've got me by the nuts.

The problem is that it might not be so simple to "reset" the process at this point, as they said they're going to keep the file open under the VIN number. They said the only thing that will take the locks off at this point is a CoC from CARB, and couldn't say for sure if 50-state certification from elsewhere will cut it. It'd be perfectly in character for the DMV to let me go pay for testing and then tell me they don't trust anyone but CARB.......:rolleyes: .... not to mention the price...

Lucky for me, I have no shortage of out-of-state friends, so I think thats going to be the plan. I'm tired of fighting with CA, this state blows.

instead of removing it.... make it parts. End the battle with the DMV. Break it up into lots of parts so the can't find it to crush it.

Buy a rusty early model FJ40 and build it up new with your parts. Just make sure the frame on the early model is used and is stamped. Then do a diesel swap/and body onto it. Make it LH drive and use the early VIN on the FJ40.

Lot's of fawking around, but in the end you have a nice clean diesel 40 with a rusty frame. In a few years you could always do a frame swap.....

SO see if you can put a salvage title on it for parts. The BJ42 vin will never be used again.

That could change everything for me as well. However, would any of these diesels have problems passing the test on bio? I have no experience with this.

I had to DEQ my 83 Bj60 for Portland right after I got it from canada, I ran about two or three tanks of B100 through, changed the fuel filter and ran B100 on the test date, passed with flying colors they said.

I had to DEQ my 83 Bj60 for Portland right after I got it from canada, I ran about two or three tanks of B100 through, changed the fuel filter and ran B100 on the test date, passed with flying colors they said.

Good to know!

My opinion for the original poster is to register out of state, I think that's the easiest way to get around all this, unless you are willing to do the swap as mentioned.

instead of removing it.... make it parts. End the battle with the DMV. Break it up into lots of parts so the can't find it to crush it.

Buy a rusty early model FJ40 and build it up new with your parts. Just make sure the frame on the early model is used and is stamped. Then do a diesel swap/and body onto it. Make it LH drive and use the early VIN on the FJ40.

Lot's of fawking around, but in the end you have a nice clean diesel 40 with a rusty frame. In a few years you could always do a frame swap.....

SO see if you can put a salvage title on it for parts. The BJ42 vin will never be used again.

This is probably the best bet at this point.

It appears it would be **FAR** easier to title / reg this in Nevada than to move the parts around to another vehicle.

What would be the potential problems in doing this?

If you get someone on the coast or in rural Oregon, it doesn't even need DEQ, all my vehicles registered down here, even the gassers are exempt!

Other than the diesel, does the FMVSS have an issue with the steering wheel being on the wrong side?

Other than the diesel, does the FMVSS have an issue with the steering wheel being on the wrong side?

Nope. FMVSS doesn't have a problem with it at all.

In fact, I think CA was convinced of the FMVSS angle too, its the EPA side thats the hold up.

Here is the legislation for the light duty diesel testing program:

Diesel-Powered Vehicles
Add: Vehicle Code §4755
(AB 233 Chapter No. 592)
Amend, Repeal, and Add: Health & Safety Code §§44010.5, 44011, 44012
(AB 1488 Chapter No. 739)
(Operative January 1, 2010)
• Adds diesel-powered vehicles manufactured after the 1997 model-year that have a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 8,501 pounds to be in the biennial smog check program.

As with all senseless laws, subject to change at anytime!

Hi Amaurer

I've been following your numererous threads as you've been rebuilding your BJ42. And I've been feeling your enthusiasm as you begin to realise your dreams.

So now I really feel for you as I hear how your "authorities" are doing their best to kill off your plans.

Your state politicians probably think they're leading the world in being "green". Yes they are. If you choose the "ignorant" meaning for the word "green".

One doesn't automatically associate "a government who cares nothing about individuals in its population" with "the land of the free".

Unfortunately like-minded beaurocrats elsewhere in the world are following California's lead. (Even in far-flung reaches like NZ.)

The fact is, people like us are such a small proportion of the general population that what we do has a negligible effect on the environment - even if our vehicles were polluters (which yours isn't).

Surely classic old vehicles are like "old buildings with architectural-merit". They are to be preserved for future generations to enjoy. Not wiped out by ill-considered legislation.

There is no need to snare old vehicles like ours with "retrospective legislation". If new standards are restricted to NEW vehicles it doesn't take long for the desired changes to take effect. For heavens sake, there is no need for legislators to be impatient. By far the majority of vehicles driven in this country (which would be considerably "poorer" than USA, Canada, or Australia) are under 15 years old.

What's more, in your case your authorities are targeting you with "country-of-origin" prejudice. So you should feel no guilt whatsoever if you attempt to circumvent their silly rules and regulations. Such rules and regulations deserve "utter contempt"!!!!

(Next California will have roving "hit squads" that shut down motor racing events to test all competing vehicles for emissions/smog. Oops. Maybe saying this will implant the idea into their tiny brains?)

Good luck.

:cheers:

I will get this truck registered. Probably not in CA, but it will happen. Gratifyingly, I went to the DMV to get more time on my temporary tags (which really shouldn't be allowed since I withdrew my application) and they were so confused by the situation in their computer they got frustrated and just cut me new tags. :beer:

In any case, thanks for the kind words. With luck I'll be updating the thread with my success before the end of Feb!

CA DMV Diesel Problem? Might do this .....

Checkmate. 30 days to remove the vehicle from California.

Import paperwork (exemption forms) didn't cut it with the DMV. RI's won't (or can't) conform the vehicle because of CARB. I'm ****ed.

The "Codes" are written for "Vehicles", a word of art meaning "engaged in commerce or in government service". When you register something you are turning over ownership. The "license plate" is their number for their "vehicle". Your "Drivers License" is so you can drive their "vehicle". Some friends of mine have done this: Turned in their plates and registration to CA DMV. They have put plates on their private conveyances stating: Notice....
Private Property....No Trespassing. They don't get hassled at all.
It's called freedom. F#@k Kalifornia. The diesel buses shuffling prisoners around pollute a lot more than you ever will. Good Luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom