Buying used 17 200 and recall (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So the wife’s jeep cherokee(pre marriage) is fixing to hit 100k and I’m scared of it doing “jeep things”. Power steering pump went out last week for $1500. Conviently we found what we have been looking for for a while, a gently used blizzard pearl 200(2017) with 35k miles just traded in and not “for sale” at a local dealership. Seems to be a pretty good deal. We’re ready, they are ready to take this jeep off our hands for pretty reasonable, but they can’t sell per toyota recall. I’m assuming it’s the passenger airbag recall? Does anyone know when this thing will be lifted or fixed so momma can get her new Landcruiser? Dealer says toyota is supposed to come fix it but he doesn’t seem to know much. He didn’t even know what the recall was about.

Ps: former 80 series owner but new to the 200’s(eventually).

That’s kind of what I thought. One guy says “next week”, other days hopefully middle of February. I was hoping someone in here would know something more concrete than the Camry salesman.

I am picking up my very gently used '17 on Sat. and they are giving me a paper from Toyota regarding the recall that just states I can have it resolved at my local dealership (Out of state deal).

They went through that and apparently if it is just used, they can do it. If it is new or a certified pre-owned they can’t do the paperwork. I read it and it states new and certified pre-owned are excluded from the release. Me being an insurance agent thinks that’s most likely a smart liability call on Toyota’s behalf. It sucks, but I understand it....the wife is another story.

They just can’t sell it “certified pre owned” which fetches them the highest values. So they want to do it that way.

I just went through this on a 2015 and since they listed it pre-owned and then couldn’t sell it that way, I knocked some money off of the offer, maxed my trade value and got an extended warranty worked into the deal.

They can still sell it...

Oh he has tried to sell it and move it without the certified title and all that entails(warranty’s and such) albeit not a whole lot but it’s a little. I’m not buying a $60k vehicle without it. Personal preference. They will sell it and not certify it for about $1000 less. I may be stupid for thinking that but the 12k bumper to bumper warranty and additional 100k additional power train warranty are worth the $1000 difference to me.

What about buying it without the CPO but instead purchasing a Toyota VSA? You could get a nearly equivalent level of protection with a platinum VSA, and you can purchase additional years/mileage. Obviously the #s still need to work in your favor but you might be able to get a little more coverage in terms of years/miles for not much extra coin. Have the dealer match the lowest VSA quote you can find. There's several dealers who will give you an ultra competitive #.

I just went through this myself. in my case, the dealer didn't know the status of the vehicle and thought they were stuck with it. Toyota usually reimburses dealer for interest during these hold period and dealers don't care about land cruisers anyway. Regardless, this is a great opportunity to use this defect to your advantage to negotiate a great price. Dealer was happy to sell at near invoice price. Defect is trivial, btw.

I would do what everyone is suggesting here. Get them to cut the price as much as you can and if you are worried about a warranty get the toyota extended warranty. Search on here to find the link where everyone buys it.
I bought a certified preowned 2015, but bought it through the local sister Ford dealer. They went and picked it up for me (it was out of town). In doing so, I did not get the certification and warranty. The only issues in 2 years and 40,000 miles has been both front door lock actuators that I bought on Amazon and installed myself.

I just bought a 2017 w/ 29k miles. The dealership didn’t want to sell it due to the recall, but they did want to take their chance and move the vehicle. They brought the price down, and raised the value on my trade. The dealerships are going to flex too much on the price. It’s more profitable for them to wait until February knowing a bigger payday is on the horizon if they wait it out. Additionally, with the recall cleared, they may be inclined to do the CPO inspections/validation.

My discussions with the services folks wasn't "February" - it depends on the region of the country. since this defect is more probable to show up in humid climates (their words) Toyota is focusing on recall work on Southern trucks and isn't making the fix available for the entire country.

My discussions with the services folks wasn't "February" - it depends on the region of the country. since this defect is more probable to show up in humid climates (their words) Toyota is focusing on recall work on Southern trucks and isn't making the fix available for the entire country.

That's good data!

I just bought a 2019 that had a stop sale due to the recall that I’ve been eyeballing since Dec. I looked at Toyota owner’s website and there’s no more open recall. Dealer did “wire harness modification SSC-J15 wire harness mod complete” last Feb 7th.

Same here. I just bout a left over 2018 (new) and picked it up this past Saturday; the recall below was completed last week. Once the dealership has the part, the recall is done very quickly! I heard a bunch of LX's went out the door for people waiting this past weekend. Good luck!

I just bought a 2019 that had a stop sale due to the recall that I’ve been eyeballing since Dec. I looked at Toyota owner’s website and there’s no more open recall. Dealer did “wire harness modification SSC-J15 wire harness mod complete” last Feb 7th.

Local dealers here in the Houston area are saying that it should this week or the next for the fix. Lexus was saying the same, but apparently any truck they received past a certain date in December wasn't directly impacted and could be sold, this is how we got our 2019 without having to wait.

All of the LCs and LXs affected by the recall should be fixed by now, or very soon. Most of the new ones waiting to sell were done in February, but maybe CPOs are slightly later? My dealership had a CPO and that was already done.

Anyone have an update on this? I still don't see any certified Land Cruisers or LX570 for sale in the entire country.

All of the LCs and LXs affected by the recall should be fixed by now, or very soon. Most of the new ones waiting to sell were done in February, but maybe CPOs are slightly later? My dealership had a CPO and that was already done.

Thanks finlay. New cars are coming up on searches but still ZERO CPO in the country. Was your dealer able to sell the CPO car?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom