Buying My First HAM Radio (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gun Runner 5

ODD IRON OFF ROAD
SILVER Star
Threads
I’m looking to purchase my first vehicle mounted HAM radio and from my limited research the prices seem to be all over the place. I would appreciate some input on suggested models and what’s considered a fair price range.
Thanks

Totally depends on the feature set you want. Do you want just a straight ahead single band VHF for trail comms, dual band VHF/UHF, dual band/dual receive, APRS capability etc?

Totally depends on the feature set you want. Do you want just a straight ahead single band VHF for trail comms, dual band VHF/UHF, dual band/dual receive, APRS capability etc?
I'm relatively new to HAM radios so at this point a simple trail comm would probably be adequate.

I'm relatively new to HAM radios so at this point a simple trail comm would probably be adequate.

My recommendation would be the Yaesu FT-2980R: Yaesu FT-2980R, Yaesu FT2980R Mobile Transceiver

A bullet-proof, simple, and powerful 2M radio. One of its predecessors was my first ham radio, and I still own and use one. No cooling fan to worry about or suck dust, inexpensive (for a ham radio). If you wanted to go cheaper, you could buy a second-hand FT-2900 or FT-2800, essentially all the same radios with minor improvements in the later models.

Another option, you might want a real cheap radio that you can afford to loose or destroy and get a Baofeng UV5R5 with programming cable/software and speaker mic from Amazon for 52 Bucks (Prime). You get your choice of black, camo or red. Either the Yaesus mentioned in the previous post or the disposable Baofeng would work as you didn't say what type of radio you wanted.

Larry in El Paso

I started with the Baofeng in order to just get used to using ham, reaching repeaters, and trail comms. Once I was comfortable, and wanted a permanently mounted unit, along with more features (specifically APRS) I went with the Yaesu FTM-400XDR. I have no regrets moving to the Yaesu.

The FT-60 is a super hand held, I have a friend that has worn the numbers off the buttons on the front he has had it/used it for many years. My comment was for a cheap way to get trail coms. You could have a group buy (2 or 3) and still be under the price of a FT-60. The Baofeng is cheap enough that driving over one or leaving it on a rock won't cause financial hardship. I am thinking of picking one of these up for a trip next summer. My current hand held is an Icom T81a and I have to get a friend program it for me.

Larry in El Paso

I’ve found on trail rides vehicles get spread out & sometimes get into hills or drop into valleys. When this happens, a handheld may not be sufficient. The deficiency is likely the antenna, but connecting a handheld to an external antenna is cumbersome. I have an FT-2900. It’s rock solid and coupled with a 1/2 wave antenna I’ve never had trouble making contact.

I’ve found on trail rides vehicles get spread out & sometimes get into hills or drop into valleys. When this happens, a handheld may not be sufficient. The deficiency is likely the antenna, but connecting a handheld to an external antenna is cumbersome. I have an FT-2900. It’s rock solid and coupled with a 1/2 wave antenna I’ve never had trouble making contact.

I find that connecting an external antenna to a handheld is no more cumbersome than connecting the antenna to a mobile unit. You just need to buy the right pigtail or adapter (easily found online), a mount and a hand mike. That's my setup.

Last edited:
I made the leap, I bought a Baofeng UV5 and programing cable for $27.52 total (two different eBay sales). I could have gotten it cheaper if I was willing to get it from China.

Larry in El Paso

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom