Buying another 100 series BUT which one (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I love the 05 it's perfect, but the 06 owner just messaged me and he said if he paid to have the valve cover gasket done at Toyota would I pay the asking price. So, I'm headed to Georgia to look at the 06 instead! Crazy! He said he would bring it to Toyota on Monday get the gasket done, and I'm paying him for an inspection at Toyota.
Love my ‘06 vvti. Also hate red cars. Would make sure you love red, I’ve regretted buying a good deal but not loving the color, eventually sold it because it always bugged.

I agree with this ^.

Also, I'd be pretty leery buying anything that dumped a quart of oil every 500 miles from a seller who didn't think that was a big deal.

Last edited:
I'd be interested to see what the PPI states regarding the oil leak. I'm sure its something simple to fix. As long as he never let it get too low (no way to tell without opening it up?)

I agree with this ^.

Also, I'd be pretty leery buying anything that dumped a quart of oil every 500 miles from a seller who didn't think that was a big deal.

Completely agree.

A quart of oil every 5k on a cruiser would in my mind be a really significant leak.

One every 500 miles, yikes.

How is the owner sure it is the valve cover gasket? Wild guess? Magic 8 ball?

200k is nothing for something well looked after, and an awful lot for something treated like a rented mule. Proceed carefully if at all on the 06, IMO.

The 05 ad looks pretty good to me, and I think I see some OEM 18s in the background of this photo.

43679024802.560251892.IM1.12.1600x1200_A.675x900.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, I appreciate everyone's great questions and feedback there's obviously a lot I don't think of. Glad I'm not flying down for the 06 just yet and if it's not right it looks like the 05 is still available. I'll ask the 06 owner how he knows it's the valve cover, I agree with what was said ^, how does he know. We're supposed to do a face-time this afternoon after he's out of work so hopefully I will see things better. If the oil ran low for some period of time is there something that I can look for that would show that? The pictures he sent it does appear that the valve cover is where it's coming from. He's bringing it to World Toyota tomorrow and I'm confident that will bring some things to light. If they're each addressed maybe I'm doing better? Wouldn't have to do a valve cover for a while at least.

Wow, I appreciate everyone's great questions and feedback there's obviously a lot I don't think of. Glad I'm not flying down for the 06 just yet and if it's not right it looks like the 05 is still available. I'll ask the 06 owner how he knows it's the valve cover, I agree with what was said ^, how does he know. We're supposed to do a face-time this afternoon after he's out of work so hopefully I will see things better. If the oil ran low for some period of time is there something that I can look for that would show that? The pictures he sent it does appear that the valve cover is where it's coming from. He's bringing it to World Toyota tomorrow and I'm confident that will bring some things to light. If they're each addressed maybe I'm doing better? Wouldn't have to do a valve cover for a while at least.
A quart every 500 miles is not a leak- it’s burning oil for some reason, and he’s using the leak as a red herring to distract from the real reason. Think about how much volume 1 qt is. It would be dripping off of everything.

A quart every 500 miles is not a leak- it’s burning oil for some reason, and he’s using the leak as a red herring to distract from the real reason. Think about how much volume 1 qt is. It would be dripping off of everything.
He's convinced that it's a leak, but you're absolutely right. Look at this leak, that's it, let's fix it, you buy it. I'm anxious to see what Toyota says tomorrow. I'm at a bit of an advantage though as I don't need to buy it. There are plenty of others. Makes me think the 05 might be the right choice :bang:

Well, if the owner is sure it is the valve cover gasket, have him fix it (happening I presume) and then drive it for 500 miles, THEN get an inspection done. Better yet, when the shop fixes the valve cover gasket and puts the oil at the correct level, have them put some tamper-proof tape on the oil cap and dipstick. After 500 miles, have the same place check the oil level.

If the seller is absolutely sure and confident it is just the valve cover gasket, he shouldn't mind as long as you send him a fat, refundable security deposit. If he is hesitant, walk.

This whole story just doesn't pass my sniff test. If you elect to pursue the 06, I would get a compression & leak down test as part of your PPI.

Lots of us have had leaky valve covers, in fact it’s normal and to be expected and then you fix it. But I haven’t heard any stories of losing a quart every 500 miles- sounds ridiculous. I’m almost wondering why he even said that.
Heck, I’ve had a rear main seal leak for the past three years/50,000 miles. Leaks about .2 (Point two) quarts every 5000 miles. Any leak on the magnitude of a quart every 500 miles would be end of conversation.

A few years back I had a Lexus GS that burned a quart every 700miles. I had to clean the carbon slime off the back bumper every week – wonder if he’s doing the same!
(For the record, I sold the Lexus to a broker who loaded it directly on a ship heading somewhere overseas LOL- he never even hopped inside the car, just leaned in to start it, paid my full asking price before I could tell him anything about it!)

Last edited:
I'm considering the purchase of a 100 series cruiser and I've got it narrowed down to a few.

2005 with 220K miles, no rust, 1.5" lift, white (my preference), timing belt done twice $14,500 but I think I could offer 13K and buy it.

2003 with 180K miles, surface scale from the looks of it, no lift, gold'ish, needs timing belt done, for $12K and buyer won't budge.

2006 cruiser with 240K miles, no rust, no lift, looks like it has an oil leak, dirty, timing belt done once, red but $15K.

I'm leaning towards the 05. I lose a bit on the HP from the 06, but it looks much better, inside pictures look better and the price is decent. The owner of the 06 is firm at 15K and acknowledged the leak and said it's just a simple valve cover leak. I wish people didn't say "oh, it's a simple fix" but they didn't fix it. The 03 is older, I like the owner, but it's an 03.

Interested in others thoughts.

I would go with the 05 or 06.
The 5 speed transmission is a nice upgrade over the 4 speed.

I've owned an 05 with 400k on it and had no issues except for front hub rebuilds.

The 05 seems like the obvious choice to me. The oil consumption on the 06 is worrisome and something is wrong. Even the leakiest of my leaky ass Rovers never used that much oil.

My LC is an 01 (with the 4 speed obviously) Should I ever buy another, I wouldn't let VVTi vs non-VVTi be a deciding factor. Overall condition of the vehicle is far more important than a few HP. That's just my 2 cents and others may disagree.

buy the maintenance in any 100 series.

the 06 already failed that test. wonder what else is "an easy fix" for you to find later on?

Reactions: MJK
2005 with 220K, Solid vehicle with a lift already. VVTi or not, the 100 is just a dog on the fwy compare to modern cars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom