Buying a 460 - Need some help with assumptions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did you just purchase the GX? Any ideas on pricing for me, say 2010 @ 148k
In this market and in good to great shape, I would say a 2010 with 148k would be priced around the $20k - $22k mark. What you posted pics of I don't think I'd pay more than $10k for. Unless you plan to make it a dedicated wheeler and you're plan is to replace the bumper(s) anyway and don't much care about the interior (which it sounds like you do) I think I'd pass on this one. That interior screams someone owned this that didn't give a s*** about it. So, what else was neglected??

2012, 140k, lots of maintenance records.

Let's assume this is mechanically fine and I have to do the following.
1. Replace mirror.
2. Replace back seats. (Not sure on front seat condition.)
3. Replace door trims on back seats.

Rest of the damage I see are as follows:
1. Front and rear bumper (hopefully just superficial).
2. Hood has rust areas.
For these two items I may do a Prado conversion, especially if I can get a good price, which should solve all the issues if superficial.

Feedback from people with experience?

Again, this is just one of my 3 options so far, best year, not best mileage. Best mileage option is 120k.

In this market and in good to great shape, I would say a 2010 with 148k would be priced around the $20k - $22k mark. What you posted pics of I don't think I'd pay more than $10k for. Unless you plan to make it a dedicated wheeler and you're plan is to replace the bumper(s) anyway and don't much care about the interior (which it sounds like you do) I think I'd pass on this one. That interior screams someone owned this that didn't give a s*** about it. So, what else was neglected??
I completely agree re: what else was neglected. Service history looks good so far and if the PPI from local Land Cruiser guys come back good then it's more of an option. I won't buy a project if mechanically I have issues except if it's a really old FJ.

Also, this is a 2012 with 140k, listed at $19k. I would not go anywhere near that price.

Also, this is a 2012 with 140k, listed at $19k. I would not go anywhere near that price.
LOL. They are smoking some major crack at that price and we both know they only gave $5k on the trade because of everything that is wrong with it. I doubt seriously they would come down to a price that I would be comfortable with.

LOL. They are smoking some major crack at that price and we both know they only gave $5k on the trade because of everything that is wrong with it. I doubt seriously they would come down to a price that I would be comfortable with.
I'm very comfortable trying if it all makes sense in the end.

This was parked outside of their "collision" area, so they may be fixing some of it before they put photos up... That remains to be seen.

Unless you are in desperate need of a vehicle I would pass on this one. The labor involved just to get the body and interior in shape would be cost prohibitive. That's just me though. I would keep shopping around.

Unless you are in desperate need of a vehicle I would pass on this one. The labor involved just to get the body and interior in shape would be cost prohibitive. That's just me though. I would keep shopping around.
Can you give me a ballpark of what you're thinking?

(And yes, working on two/three others).

Don't stress about mileage too much if it's been maintained. I've bought all my Cruisers at ~150k, and run then up near 300k.

:meh:

Can you give me a ballpark of what you're thinking?

(And yes, working on two/three others).

I would have to look at it in person. By just pictures that looks like it was purchased at an auction. I imagine the dealer paid somewhere around 3K-5K for that one.

Hard pass on the rough one. It's been abused heavily based on that interior. You don't know what else is wrong with it or what the P.O. did to it if they let the interior get that bad. I'd buy it for more like $5-8K for a trail beater, but that's about it.

GX460's in much nicer condition pop up on the St. Louis craigslist in the $30K range fairly often. A bit of a drive from you, but a better deal. The one for $19K easily needs $10K of work, and it's history/prior life is questionable based on that interior.

Hard pass. Who the hell knows the life it led. I suspect it was a vehicle bought by someone without the means or desire to take care of it.

2012, 140k, lots of maintenance records.

Let's assume this is mechanically fine and I have to do the following.
1. Replace mirror.
2. Replace back seats. (Not sure on front seat condition.)
3. Replace door trims on back seats.

Rest of the damage I see are as follows:
1. Front and rear bumper (hopefully just superficial).
2. Hood has rust areas.
For these two items I may do a Prado conversion, especially if I can get a good price, which should solve all the issues if superficial.

Feedback from people with experience?

Again, this is just one of my 3 options so far, best year, not best mileage. Best mileage option is 120k.
This would be a great project vehicle for 1 or 2 people!
Lose the second and third row seats, build or buy a full drawer system, steel bumpers, armor and recover the front seats and you'll have an awesome overlander!
That would be the ONLY reason I'd purchase something in that shape.
I wouldn't purchase it as a fixer-upper back to stock for the wife and kids.

Lose the second and third row seats, build or buy a full drawer system, steel bumpers, armor and recover the front seats and you'll have an awesome overlander!
That's looking like way too much work especially given my alternatives.

It would be one heck of a project for sure. One big concern is the interior wiring. With it so torn up it's bound to have difficult to diagnose electrical issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom