Buyers Guide - Restyling Differences (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Azi

Threads
Hi all,

I am on the market for 200 so I got some questions and would like to ask the community.

First off I would like to start with, that I am located in Bulgaria, Europe, and all 200s here are equipped as standard with AHC, 4.5 Twin Turbo Diesel 1VD-FTE engine, and an Automatic gearbox. No other options.

Second, the prices are not quite different for the pre/post-facelift editions. Let's say that good condition pre-facelift (2010) is around 35K USD and facelifted (2012) 40K, so as I said - not a big deal and the question crossing my mind is "What more would I get for these 5K" (except the exterior changes that I like)

Any changes in the gearbox?
Any changes in the engine - 1VD-FTE?

When I was on the market for my Hundy, I managed to find official documentation about all the changes during manufacturing, highlighted by years. I tried to find the same papers for 200, but no luck, so I am not quite sure what (if any) significant changes were made during the years.

Also, another thing I am afraid of is the AHC.

When I bought my 100, it came with a problem in the AHC - low pressure and bouncy ride. I went through pretty much everything - Met TechStream for the first time, bought new springs, added spacers to them, changed the AHC sensors and linkages, but all that with absolutely zero luck, so it was time for the spheres (accumulators). Then I took the hard decision to get rid of the AHC and switched to IronMan Foam Cell Pros. Well, it turned out to be not one of my best decisions, cos I lost the charming smooth silk drive, so... I got some mixed feelings about it...

Thankfully, now I clearly know what I want from my 200 - I don't want this to happen! I don't want to mess with AHC anymore and I don't want to loose the smooth silky drive. I already have a lifted off-roader. I am planning to use the 200 for long travels and daily, primary car, so I would like to know if the AHC was improved in 200, and do you guys have the same major issues with it as in 100s, cos it was a really, really big problem. I am tired of it and would literally stop looking for 200 if the issues with AHC still exist.

Awaiting your advices.

Regards,
Azi

I can’t speak to differences in the engine, but lots of people here drive Lx570s with the AHC and they seem to be a robust and mostly trouble-free system. Definitely nothing like what was on the 100-series.
Every once in a while you’ll hear about a pump or accumulator failure.. the latter of which is actually pretty cheap and easy to fix. But I should stress these are very rare. Lots of 200k mile LXs here with only fluid changes driving along fine.
If vehicle corrosion is a thing where you are I’ve seen a few people post with a hydraulic hose above the frame rusted in the same place leading to a leak. I think one person had a leak there without rust from the line bracket being bent and rubbing a hole in the line as well. But again, based on the numbers of LXs driven here and the few problems posted, I’d have zero concerns buying one.

I did recently go through an AHC-related horror experience, but that was 100% due to the Lexus master mechanic's mistakes. I'm quite happy with my AHC.

Longtime owner of both LX470 and LX570, both equipped with AHC.

Much of the problems I had previously seen on the 100-series was self inflicted with individuals trying to tweak the system without a good understanding of how. Part of the problems also stemmed from maintenance issues and dealership inexperience with the system. I remember several stories of dealerships filling the system with brake fluid - eek!

Fortunately, that knowledgebase and experience has evolved with more documented information here on the boards, and experience at the dealerships.

AHC as implemented in the LX570 is exceedingly robust, in both durability and payload handling. I have no qualms owning a 200-series with it. Anecdotally, there's been little trouble or issues posted on the 200-series forum relative to the 100-series. Personally, for the advantages in ride, performance, and convenience, I wouldn't own a 200-series without it. It is the foundation of wide competency and character of the Land Cruiser for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom