Busted rear diff not cover by warranty! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

do you have pics of the metal flakes? post it up

do you have pics of the metal flakes? post it up

No. I left the "black sludge ball" intact with the shavings mixed in so the rep would get the whole picture. They'd be hard to see in a photo.

Most were the typical metal "filings" found in gear boxes/diffs. But two were obviously part of the thin leading edge of a ring or pinion gear sheared off. Small, but not a good sign mixed with BLACK SLUDGE!

Does anyone know what Toyota puts in the new diffs? Synthetic?

Think I could get a diff under warranty, or do I have to wait until I'm stranded on a mountain peak in February?!

ring and pinion replaced

Just picket up my rig from Steven creek in San Jose, CA. No charge for the entire job. I had to tow my vehicle for 70 miles to the dealer and they gave me a loaner (o8 Camry) till the rig was ready.
The Toyota parts/service manager was at the event when the ring broke and he knew I was off road at the time.

What I don't understand is how he stated Toyota tech dept was unaware of the problem. He did say he had read some threads on the problem earily model rigs. My rig was manufactured in 03/06

no one has posted on this thread for a while, but I wonder now...and at the request of the blue forum I will leave names out. I will use the name Michael Scott(MC) for my service adviser instead of their real name, not because I want to bag them but because I'm afraid they may get in trouble for information given. at a dealership far far from here, my service adviser helped me with a problem on my front diff. MC noticed the mileage on my truck was nearing 30k. When we were alone in my truck driving around the lot MC told me to bring it in before the factory warranty was up. I have the extended warranty, but explained it was through a third party and they always have a "reason" to deny a fix due to "abuse" especially if your lifted, have larger than factory wheels and tires and large bumpers (pretty much any mod...maybe even a Trail Team metal grill emblem). MC advised that while it was under dealer warranty they would have one of their head techs take microscope from the front bumper to the rear. Said the techs WILL find a problem with the tranny, transfer, diffs and anything else those that "abuse" their trucks have brought them in for. At this point they will put away the microscope and replace every single part under warranty. Its like driving away with a brand new truck with 35k miles on it. Thank goodness for good dealerships, and good people. Wish I could name the place and you all could do business with them. maybe with a PM i will disclose a little more info. depending on who PM's, their rating and my sense of a fraud will decide how much I will tell!

With that said MC has not denied one single repair for me under warranty regardless of if it was my fault or not. To be honest I was quite suprised a couple of times. Their philosphy is "why was this truck built, and what did we build it for?" If your not sure, just log onto Toyotas website and watch the stock FJ tackle rocks a jacked up Rubicon might have trouble getting over...its an advertisement on toughness. USE IT FOR THAT, IT HAS TOYOTAS NAME ON THE BACK FOR A REASON. A good rule of thumb I have learned while picking a dealership to work on your truck is to see what the techs, parts and service reps drive. If their trucks are modded, dented and scratched, your are prolly safe.

Also, the extended warranty was given for a few hundred dollars. As explained by the dealership that sold it to me told me, this is a new model...it could have problems with the new technology. The last thing, he said, he wanted to do was foot me with a bill for something that was a defect.

ckline said:
Thank goodness for good dealerships, and good people.

Well, good thing you omitted the names, because what he is proposing to do (with your knowledge and consent) is highly unethical. Toyota views it as fraud, and sees it no differently as if you and he conspired to break into the Parts Department to steal parts or break into their safe to steal money.

ckline said:
I'm afraid they may get in trouble for information given.
You are correct.

In the car business, it's commonly called "selling warranty", and would likely cost his dealer principal a huge fine, sanctions from the manufacturer and possible termination of his dealer agreement. At the least, it would result in the termination of everyone involved, and be a career-ending event for them as far as Toyota is concerned, as well as repayment for all the bogus warranty work billed to Toyota.

While it may make you feel warm and fuzzy to feel like you have a "buddy on the inside looking out for you", rest assured he is not your buddy, nor is he looking out for you. Like any good con man, he is simply playing your fears, suspicions and greed... getting something for nothing.

Your adviser and his cohorts in the shop have only their own interests at stake, and you are just a pawn. Your adviser is paid a nice commission on parts & labor sales (warranty is no different), and warranty work pays his technicians good rates.

You must remember that, given the opportunity, someone that will steal for you will steal from you.

This may not have been the response you were looking for, but it is what it is.

no one has posted on this thread for a while, but I wonder now...and at the request of the blue forum I will leave names out. I will use the name Michael Scott(MC) for my service adviser instead of their real name, not because I want to bag them but because I'm afraid they may get in trouble for information given. at a dealership far far from here, my service adviser helped me with a problem on my front diff. MC noticed the mileage on my truck was nearing 30k. When we were alone in my truck driving around the lot MC told me to bring it in before the factory warranty was up. I have the extended warranty, but explained it was through a third party and they always have a "reason" to deny a fix due to "abuse" especially if your lifted, have larger than factory wheels and tires and large bumpers (pretty much any mod...maybe even a Trail Team metal grill emblem). MC advised that while it was under dealer warranty they would have one of their head techs take microscope from the front bumper to the rear. Said the techs WILL find a problem with the tranny, transfer, diffs and anything else those that "abuse" their trucks have brought them in for. At this point they will put away the microscope and replace every single part under warranty. Its like driving away with a brand new truck with 35k miles on it. Thank goodness for good dealerships, and good people. Wish I could name the place and you all could do business with them. maybe with a PM i will disclose a little more info. depending on who PM's, their rating and my sense of a fraud will decide how much I will tell!

With that said MC has not denied one single repair for me under warranty regardless of if it was my fault or not. To be honest I was quite suprised a couple of times. Their philosphy is "why was this truck built, and what did we build it for?" If your not sure, just log onto Toyotas website and watch the stock FJ tackle rocks a jacked up Rubicon might have trouble getting over...its an advertisement on toughness. USE IT FOR THAT, IT HAS TOYOTAS NAME ON THE BACK FOR A REASON. A good rule of thumb I have learned while picking a dealership to work on your truck is to see what the techs, parts and service reps drive. If their trucks are modded, dented and scratched, your are prolly safe.

Also, the extended warranty was given for a few hundred dollars. As explained by the dealership that sold it to me told me, this is a new model...it could have problems with the new technology. The last thing, he said, he wanted to do was foot me with a bill for something that was a defect.

Well, good thing you omitted the names, because what he is proposing to do (with your knowledge and consent) is highly unethical. Toyota views it as fraud, and sees it no differently as if you and he conspired to break into the Parts Department to steal parts or break into their safe to steal money.

You are correct.

In the car business, it's commonly called "selling warranty", and would likely cost his dealer principal a huge fine, sanctions from the manufacturer and possible termination of his dealer agreement. At the least, it would result in the termination of everyone involved, and be a career-ending event for them as far as Toyota is concerned, as well as repayment for all the bogus warranty work billed to Toyota.

While it may make you feel warm and fuzzy to feel like you have a "buddy on the inside looking out for you", rest assured he is not your buddy, nor is he looking out for you. Like any good con man, he is simply playing your fears, suspicions and greed... getting something for nothing.

Your adviser and his cohorts in the shop have only their own interests at stake, and you are just a pawn. Your adviser is paid a nice commission on parts & labor sales (warranty is no different), and warranty work pays his technicians good rates.

You must remember that, given the opportunity, someone that will steal for you will steal from you.

This may not have been the response you were looking for, but it is what it is.

Valkyrie-

You speak the absolute gospel on this one.

Nice to see people stand up for the right thing every once in a while.

Hats off to you.

It sometimes amazes me the "sense of entitlement" many buyers have regarding their new products.

Ya know "manufacturers defects" are the 3rd reason consumer electronics are returned.
1st is "I couldn't figure out how to work it"
2nd is "buyers remorse" (returned within' 48 hours).
3rd is defects.

I raised hell on the Engine Bay cracks and got resolution (repair forthcoming once the new fender aprons start shipping late summer). I would have prefferred a buy-back...but that's not realistic. I'm accepting the fact that I have an older rear diff. and it may blow one day. I will check the oil more frequently.

Ce'st La Vie!

I'm not thrilled that my seatback cover has a hole worn through it @ 18-k. Warranty denied. Wet Okole's it is.

Many dealers are fair if your expectations are reasonable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom